Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rollbar

JKJ

It *might* depend what era the chassis is from. In recent years you can swap to the FIA bar relatively easily (no drilling/sawing/filing required). The FIA bar does have up-and-under bolts which necessitate removing the rear spring/damper units to access the holes. The standard hood does fit over the FIA bar (although there is a 'tall' FIA bar available over which the standard hood does not fit).

Mike

Just to build upon Mike's point about 'recent year' cars, my 1987 and hence not-so-recent chassis underwent standard-to-FIA transformation without any hitches and even fits under the older, non-high-vis. hood. I did experience an issue with the FIA brace ('Petty Strut') fitment, in that once attached to the top of the roll-bar, it wouldn't reach the cockpit side to attach to the (pre-drilled) thread in the side rail - it was about 2-3" short. Simply resolved by widening out one of the mounting holes on the top end, but Caterham reckoned they hadn't seen this happen before.

Bear in mind that the standard bar is of a narrower diameter tube and also the slanted support struts run at a slightly different angle to the FIA's so that you'll need a new boot cover or mod. the existing one (never going to be wholly successful: I know - I tried! sad.gif)

Pierson

Edited by - Pierson Broome on 20 Oct 2000 10:06:35

The boot covers are different - A new one is about £40. The Tonneau is also different if you use the diagnol strut.

The boltd for the FIA bar which fit above the tops of the rear dampers are a specially made bolt for the car (the heads are machined)

I know you will be able to get these from redline components 01883 346515 or email mick@redlinecomponents.co.uk

Their website id www.RedlineComponents.co.uk

AW