Click here if you are having website access problems ×

do i need a windscreen/aeroscreen?

Stef

Is there anything in the regs stating that I must have a windscreen ior aero sreen in place?

I've just fitted my aeroscreen and with lowered floors and that fact that I'm short, I can't see the front wheels, which might be useful. I know you can get the perspex race screens but I would prefer not to drill the scuttle.

Cheers

Steff

• Area Representative

Steff,

Whilst the championship regulations don't appear to say anything about screens (which I think must have been omitted by mistake), the SR's for the two Curborough rounds do state:-

"All cars MUST run with a windscreen which can be of the 'aero' type or equivelent if required"

I used to run a black JPE style aeroscreen, but swapped to a single clear "race" screen when I found I could not see where the LHS front whel was after I went wide track and fitted very low front wings.

I think this is covered by the Common Regulations for competitors vehicles section J

so does not need to be in either the competition regs.

5.20.8. Except for racing cars, be fitted with a windscreen. If plastic windscreen, side screens or rear windows are fitted the thickness must not be less than

4mm.

Simple Answer is yes Windscreen or aeroscreen.

Stef, I couldn't see over the aeroscreen even though the floor isn't lowered.

Several of us have devised seat pads to fit inside our tillet seats -try sitting on something - this might solve your problem? I knocked seconds off my times once I could see the front wheels! I don't think the problem is the aero, I think you are just too low in the car.

Thanks for the replies, I thought that was the case but always worth asking.

there is a thread going on chitchat about clear aeroscreens, so hopefully something will come out of that as I like being nice and low in the car and can see fine with the windscreen on.

But yes, in the mean time I will look for a suitable bit of foam to sit on!

Stef

Stef,

I created a pad like this for Ping on the recomendation of some other sprinters we bought a camping mat for about £5 from the local store, you can then cut it up into pieces and build up a pad with the right shape. We used lots of black duct tape to hold it all together.

Ping has one for the base of the seat and one for the back.

Cheers

Rob

Spent a bit of time playing with seating positions today and basically if I sit on anything then my helmet touches the cage, whch is interesting as I am by no stretch of the imagination remotely tall. I've put the proper padding on the cage so the safety side is covered.

On track days I have always put the seat further back, sat in a more reclined position and therefore been lower, which I like anyway. Just cant see the wheels now if I do this.When I sit more upright I can just about see the wheels but my head touches the cage if I move it much, so will see how it feels when I'm at curborough this week.

Hopefully someone will come up with a clear aeroscreen soon which will sort the issue.

Cheers

Steff