Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R400 Spark Plug Type?

Nigel Pugh

Guys,

I looks like one of the plugs has failed on my R400 already, resulting in a misfire.

What plugs should I fit?

The ones fitted are Champions, I would like to change to NGK as I dont want the Champions to fail again.

I have looked though the archive and it seems that NGK - BKR7EVX or BCP7ES are recomended.

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Nig Pug

X400 SLR - R400 Running -almost complete.

Nige, in 16,000 miles I haven't had any fail. Apparently electronic ignition is good for preserving plugs. However, whilst trying to diagnose my misfiring problem (which turned out to be the ECU, hence the change to Emerald) I did change the plugs, but I retained my original plugs if you just want to give them a try. They work perfectly, despite looking a little yellow due to heat cycling.

Can't remember the type. They're in the garage, and I'm in the lounge in dressing gown, marvelling at my restored central heating and watching the brave/stupid squirrel standing on the window ledge next to me. *wink*

I'm in all day if you fancy a trip over here. I've got a few more jobs to do on Hotel Marston before I'll be "allowed out to play". *tongue*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

The same rule always applies with spark plugs - run the coldest that the engine doesn't foul on.

NGK numbers include the heat value in the code. This means that BCPR8ES is a colder version of BCPR7ES. Heat values run up to 9 (the coldest). I run 9s from the NGK race range in the big engine and they don't foul. I would try an NGK BCPR8ES in an R400.

The R in the code is for "resistive" which reduces RF interference and prevents the car from setting off other peoples car alarms and interrupting the operation of the ECU.

nigel the map on the R400 is rubbish i think you will find if you clean the plug you will be ok .

i just wish they would get there finger out and get someone competent to do the job .

i have not driven mine yet but on starting and running it pumps out fuel and runs ****e 🙆🏻

fred *eek*

Fred

I've gone back to the original "race" map the car came back, pretty naff under 4000 rpm but much better above the that. the 2nd map i tried just dumped petrol out of the exhasut and never felt as good as the "race" map.

I averaged 100-120 on a tankful with the 2nd map but on the orginal closer to 140 and a leisurley trip back on the M4 saw 170.

It's all probaly due to my driving, what i mean is that when stuck or in slow moving traffic i tend not get above 3-5000 rpm.

Shin

ps. still no sign of a completed map though...

We need a lawyer to let us know where R400 owners stand getting the ECU password off Caterham, then they could buy the software and cable and go to someone who can do it properly. There's no magic involved so it beats me why they can't do it themselves. *confused*

Colin, I've got an SLR which is the earlier loom (I'm not sure it is called EU2, but I get the point). The Emerald worked with my car "out of the bag" but my loom has been (and is being) heavily modified since then anyway.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours