Click here if you are having website access problems ×

poor starting - MBE

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

had the car running for c.15 mins yesterday evening. Then had coolant related issues so switched engine off and followed various threads advice to resolve.

Gone to try and start car again this morning and after c.20 attempts trying to catch on the throttle no joy.

I've checked all the sensors and refitted. Brand new plugs (none loose) and leads.

Having had an engine rebuilt the MBE was left untouched on the car and settings have not changed since car was withe The 2 Steve's in Feb 2010.

Putting it in non-technical language it seems as though the ECU is picking up wrong signals somewhere.

Short of taking the car to The 2 Steves - does anyone else have the software/hardware/ know how 'up north' or in the Midlands?

*thumbup*

Rog

a couple of things to check/try Rog

1. is the fuel pump running when you first turn on the ignition? The ECU controls the pump which, if the facility is implemented, should run for a couple of seconds and then cut off. It runs continuously once the engine starts. If the pump's not running check the fuse and relay.

2. check the relays and fuses that power the ECU. Could you have disturbed a connection somewhere when you were looking at your cooling problem?

......do you have fuel in the tank?

Paul

• Leadership Team

thx Dave - have gone back to basics and taken all plugs out. Number 3 plug is still 'out of the box' shiny. The other 3 have blackened with combustion. Have removed this plug and checked for spark and all ok. Have disconnected fuel pipe on the rail and fuel is pumping through ok.

wondering now if I have an injector problem.

Rog

Hi Rog

A couple of thoughts:

Would have thought it would fire up and run, albeit very rough, if it was just one faulty cylinder ?

Have you got a spark at every cylinder ?

Check the state of the engine and ECU earths - MBE v sensitive to poor earthing.

Angus

• Leadership Team

thx Angus - will double check spark on other plugs but thought that as there are signs of combustion this would mean cylinders 1,2 & 4 were ok.

I have had the car running periodically over the past week or so. Yesterday it ran for c.20 mins. Once warmed through it idled ok but bringing revs up through c.2k rpm there was a vibration through the car and a roughness to the engine.

I've checked the main earth on the engine mounting to alternator housing. The earth on the 3 way brake pipe union is ok. Am I missing one anywhere else?

Rog *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

all plugs out and a spark is being produced by all four. I've moved the earth strap at the brake union from the top of the thread to the base of the thread next to the chassis box section.

Done compression tests: 1 with closed throttle (1st set) and one with throttle open (2nd set); details as follows. all readings in bar.

Cylinder 1 2 3 4

10.5 11.5 11.0 11.5

16.0 16.5 17.0 17.0

Rog

• Leadership Team
thx Paul I had considered that option but was advised earlier that removing the injector is a fiddle as there are some O rings that could become dislodged / fall into the wrong place...

Unplug each injector, then plug it back in to see if it is a dodgy connection.

Moving the injectors is a doddle, undo the fuel rail bolts and work the injectors out of the TB pockets, make sure the fuel rail is de-presurized and take off the holding clip from the injector, wiggle the injector out of the rail and swap. Reverse removal instructions..

Oily