Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R400 speedo

Burwell7man

Hi folks, just got my 2007 R400 since driving 1965 series 2 for 22 years. I have got to say I am very pleased with my decision to change to a modern 7. I was just going through the gears at decent revs and noticed the speedo needle dropped off at around 120mph. Any ideas if this is a common fault or something / need checking out before it gets worse?

I have a 2009 R400D SV and the speedo sensor on the rear wheel has played up several times. Once needed a new sensor. The gap between the sensor and toothed wheel is very critical and the toothed wheel is often not that central so gap changes during a revolution.

Enjoy........

I had similar problems on my 2008 R400D. Some things to consider:

1. Is the sensor air gap correct? As Andy correctly says *arrowup*, it can be critical, especially if the toothed ring runs out of true. The Assembly Guide suggests a 1mm gap, but I found I needed to reduce this to nearer 0.3mm. I would try setting it at 1mm, and then reduce gradually until the sensor LED lights up for each tooth. See here for info on how to adjust.

2. Does the problem occur more often when cornering? If so, check that you have the latest ARB mounting brackets (more info here -- plus a pointer to Workshop Notice 460, which describes the mod).

3. Does the speedo record mileage correctly (odo and trip)? Mine began to behave in a most bizarre way (see here). In the end, CC supplied a new speedo, which seems to have solved the problem.

JV

• 2 weeks later...
Hi John, weather been appauling so not driven it since last weekend. Going to Snetterton tomorrow so might be able to see if the problem still exists. Car has 3 month warranty so I will let CC know if it still appears. I have checked through the history and there has already been two attempts at dealing with the same problem so I guess I have a good case.... *thumbup* I will keep you posted *smile*

• 3 weeks later...

The speedo in my 2011 Duratec 175SV started to jerk about at speeds over (ahem) 80mph today. The faster I went, the more erratic the reading became. I'll check my sensor gap - when I built the car last year I used 1mm, perhaps this needs to reduce a bit...

Hello Burwell7man, I bought my first house in Orchard Way, Burwell back in 1984 - it cost £29,000 😳. What a nice village! I only lived there for a couple of years, but really enjoyed it.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike. Good sighting. Yes Burwell is a great village, resident for 21 years and works here 5 years before. House prices not so friendly, god I sound like an old man *confused* I live behind Barclays bank and no plans to shift, work in Ely now so easy drive up A142 *cool*

Does it really matter if it stops reading at 120mph? I mean, do you need to know whether you're doing 120 or 140? If so, what the hell for - should the needle just point to a little picture of your licence on fire at about 110 and a picture of Bubba with a bar of soap at 125?

Edited by - charlie_pank on 7 May 2012 16:43:31