Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trolley Mag: Issue One

Laurence Wilson

It was with great pleasure that I was on hand to experience the new garden centre trolley available at Kings garden centre in Hassocks *eek*.

Kings’ new addition is one of a new line of so called ' uber-trolleys ' that offer an emphasis upon pilot enjoyment. At first glance this new model is perhaps a little unorthodox, although a keen eye can clearly see that it is a case of form follows function.

The load basket can be no more than four or six inches off of the ground. It has but a depth of another eight inches which of course makes it easy to load plants and soils etc., but that more importantly also makes for a ultra low centre of gravity 😬.

Control of the trolley is by the familiar aluminium tube handle. It extends directly upwards from the two rearward corners of the basket and then curves back at an angle of approximately thirty degrees before forming the handgrip. A nice one piece design with a brushed finish exudes quality and indicates performance intentions *tongue*.

I was surprised by the quality pneumatic off road tires that graced the beam axle located at the mid point of the basket - a nice feature that provided an excellent ride leaving the common shopping trolley rattle almost absent. However, it was the ease with which the trolley could be steered at speed - even when loaded - that impressed the most due to placement of a pair of directional castors on either corner nearest the pilot.

Unlike the majority of garden centre trolleys that are suspended upon just one simple centrally located axle, the ' beam and castor ' setup employed in this instance enabled one to perform some novelty manoeuvres. Once an amount of ballast was loaded into the forepart of the basket it was possible to assume a ' superman ' position which no doubt amused the staff on hand 😬. This of course obligated the user to lean over the handle and firmly grip the tubular aluminium at a point halfway down, precisely above the castors - a requirement that promoted athleticism but rewarded with this unique experience.

The test model was clearly fitted with the high performance bearing upgrade, as acceleration from a standstill was brisk to say the least. Once up to speed careful consideration had to be paid to steering input as it was possible over emphasise, especially if one was to have been behind the bar of a Tescos or Sainsburys trolley only earlier that day. A gentle motion from the wrist tended to work the best at high velocity, with only input from the shoulders required to heave a fully loaded trolley at till queue speed.

It’s hard to find fault in such an impressive product, although I did find that during typical use I clipped my toes upon the low slung basket. If the basket had been positioned just further forward while retaining the location of the castors it would have made the trolley an easier experience in traffic. It is on the open path that this trolley will mostly be used however and when sprinting with it I found that my extended arms placed the basket well clear of my feet.

Clearly aimed at the higher end of the market this particular trolley would perhaps not be suitable for the novice due to the high speeds that can be achieved. A seasoned trolleist on the other hand can not be anything but impressed by the agility and giant killing performance that has been afforded the user by careful consideration and minimalist design *smile*.

For more information and to arrange a test-drive, Kings can be found in Hassocks, West Sussex.

I love lazy days when you’ve nothing to do *wink*!

Peardrop

Edited by - Peardrop on 19 Oct 2002 23:03:05

I'd be interested to see how they implement the independent axle. I don't honestly see how it could improve the trolley though as the key to this market sector is the light weight.

I'm not happy about the GRP at all. It takes less than a year before GRP trolleys look tatty because of fading and they rattle intolerably.

Stick with what you know - solid located beam axle, aluminium mesh basket. The reviewed trolley was noticeably well built.

*wink* 😬

Peardrop

Edited by - Peardrop on 19 Oct 2002 23:04:11

I'm hoping for a letters page as I've got a friend who has a little problem with a rash that won't clear up with normal paintstriper, this is made worse by that the fact that conker season is nearly at an end.

Dear worried of xxxx

Don't worry, they always fall off in the autumn and grow again in spring

Phew

If there's beer, we'll drink it. If not, we'll wait. 😬

• 6 years later...

Yes. I quite like the baskets that the local co-op are using. They are deep, and have wheels and handles, but are made of plastic.

Has anyone test driven one of these, as I was unable to.

I have fond memories of those trollies *thumbup*

Suffice it to say Wyevale never really caught up with Kings 😔 I was forever fighting the poor steering and quite horrendous axle tramp when riding the offerings they provided me. Thank god I'm no longer subject to their sponsorship deal!

Perhaps given my change of career direction I could produce a track upgrade kit! Would other keen trolliests be interested, I wonder?

my flickr!

Edited by - Peardrop on 2 May 2009 13:05:17