Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

car will not start........again

tiddy1

Went to drive the car (1.8 VVC) this morning and it started ok but would not idle, as soon as you let go of the throttle it died, after some checking of all the plugs the idle finally came back

I turned the ignition off then when I tried to start it again it would not start, all the relays click, the fuel pump primes the starter works, it fires up then dies after a couple of seconds and no matter what I do I can't get it to go.

The vector seems to be working, otherwise the starter would not work, the rover imobiliser also seems to set and re-set ( although I never use this immobiliser as it is the old type and does not self set). There is obviously power to the fuel pump as it primes

I have done the following:

Checked all fuses

checked the vector and all its wiring

Checked the rover imobiliser

checked all plugs on the harness

checked the fuel pump

The car was driven on friday without any problems

Any suggestions would be greatfully recieved

tiddy

if it starts then dies after 1 or 2 seconds then that is exactly what the Rover Immobiliser will do. I've borrowed Jue Thompsons ECU and Immobiliser and had forgotton what it was like as mine is disabled. Try this

turn ignition off but battery master switch (if fitted) on, press the lock key on the Rover Immobiliser until 3 or 4 clicks are heard (you may have the luxury of a flashing light to confirm) wait 10 to 15 seconds, Press the unlock button (one click may be heard) then turn the ignition on and try and start. For some reason I sometimes have to do this procedure a couple of times before success

Mark

BTW there is a reset procedure for the Immobiliser but I can't for the life of me remember it, worth a search of the archives

Edited by - F355GTS on 19 Oct 2002 16:07:53

still no joy, the immobiliser seems to be working ok i'e setting and re-setting with audible clicks of the relay and cutting the starter circuit when activated but I still get the 5 seconds of engine running

Having had similar problems before I have mapped out the wiring harness and there are only two wires that go from the immobiliser to the ECU, I can only assume that one of these controls a relay that activates the fuel pump. any ideas what the other does??

The vector seems to be ok but I did not think that that did anything to the fuel pump, I thought it was only the starter circuit

any more clues?

yes I worked that out as I removed my vector yesterday,

And all is running well now. It was not actually the vector causing the problem but the rover immobiliser, intermittantly loosing power and re-setting itsself.

After removing the scuttle I had a good go at tidying the wiring and making everything sound, and also remover the vector in the process. now all I have to do is fill the holes in the dash!

Thanks for all the advice, I think I am becomming a wiring expert