Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Crash Helmets

Trevor Lunnon

I'm hoping to dip my toe into track days and need a helmet. Over recent months I have seen various threads about crash helmets (ie Aldi etc) but at some point may also be tempted to have a go at sprinting which would require an approved helmet. I don't want the uncertainties of mail order and my question is where within a reasonable distance of Cambridge is there a retail store that would have a reasonable selection to try on etc. Very quick Google search and Hein Gericke stores seem to be the store of choice for bikers but none are close by.

Perhaps a bit random but I'm in the vicinity of Silverstone next week, is there such a thing as an on site motorsport clothing store that is worth a detour?

Thanks, Trevor

The Hedtec ones are great value considering they are approved for racing - unfortunately my head isn't Hedtec shaped so I couldn't get one ☹️ I tried so many different models at Autosport show (Sparco, Stilo, Arai, Hedtec and Bell) in the end we decided my head is Bell shaped 😬

Very few retail stores around for car lids. I can only think of GPR at Silverstone, Demon Tweeks at Wrexham and Merlin at Castle Combe.

GPR do sell one of the cheap options - not sure which one it (probably V2 or Headtek). Sadly didn't fit me either. Neither did anything else until I got to Arais which start at £750.

You can use a bike helmet as long as it's manufacturered to the regs stated in the Blue Book - it will no doubt come with an ACU approval sticker, but find your local MSA scrut, and he will attach a nice MSA sticker for a nominal fee.

Bri

MSA helmet regs are here. It's not "manufactured to regs" it's "bearing one of the under-mentioned standards". The only dual use one I'm aware of is "BS 6658 Type A/FR", which they keep threatening to withdraw but haven't yet. They're pretty rare. The main issue is that bike helmets don't normally have fireproof interiors. The good news is that dual use helmets aren't subject to VAT. If it wasn't such a small market you might expect all the manufacturers to certify their helmets for bike use, so as to avoid the VAT.

the MSA speed event regs don't require it yet but at some stage you might need to use a HANS device, in which case I would consider getting a helmet with HANS posts fitted. If the regs change (they have said not, at least for the time being) or you want to compete in France etc (the hillclimb scene is fantastic) you will need a HANS and the incremental cost of a helmet ready to fit one is a lot less that having to buy a new one before your old one runs out of date.

I think I will try and check out GPR next week even it is only to see what shape head I have!

I'm glad you are taking this approach - rather than the 'what's the cheapest/best helmet' route. It's essential that your helmet fits the shape of your head and is comfortable - it can be an enormous distraction to have pressure points etc.

One word of caution/warning - when you think you've found the brand that fits your head, try and wear your chosen helmet in the shop for as long as possible as pressure-points can seem to be OK to start with but to intensify with time. My helmet (bought at GPR Silverstone, many years ago) was/is fine for trackdays and so on - but occassionally became unbearable after a few hours of aeroscreening. I solved that by manning-up and ditching the helmet 😬

If you just want a MSA spec lid for sprinting, then it's hard to ignore the value of the Hedtec/V2 offerings (@ circa. 140 quid with full Snell SA2010 certification) compared to something like the Arai GP6s at 750 notes from GPR.

After all, you'll only be wearing it for 5 mins at a time!

For trackday use, you can get a top quality bike lid for much less than a "motorsport" item (economies of scale, I guess). Try on a load and fid out if you have an Arai head or a Shoei head!

The bike lid also has a wider aperture for improved peripheral vision. *cool*

Quoting Paul Deslandes: 
the MSA speed event regs don't require it yet but at some stage you might need to use a HANS device, in which case I would consider getting a helmet with HANS posts fitted.

Having just bought a new HANS-compatible helmet for the Academy and ditched the still-legal helmet I've had for trackdays for years now, I second that.

Another *thumbup* for GPR at Silverstone, though, they sorted me out with my first helmet and were very helpful.

Crumbs - not sure whether that's funny or scary. I raced motorcycles for many years wearing Arai Quantums - who'd have thought I might have been better off with a cheapo Lidl one? So much for "got a $10 head?"

I can see some arguments against their testing methodology, for example there don't appear to be any sharp point penetration tests, and it's not clear whether they a new helmet for each test (I doubt it). But overall it looks like an excellent resource for checking how good helmets are.

At least it gives some perspective to the "you MUST buy a 750 pound motorsport Arai before you even think of going on a trackday!" argument.

(This statement usually from the people who also drive in jeans & sweatshirt cos proper fireproof overalls are "uncool" on track days... )

Interesting that every single Bell helmet gets 5 stars on that site whereas the Arai and Shoei models seem to vary between 3 and 5 stars depending on the model...

I have a Shoei shaped head (discovered after having an Arai initially which was a pain in the forehead after a while) and always tended to buy a 'replica' paintjob version rather than plain white or black (I had a Wayne Gardner one for a while then an Yvon du Hamel IIRC) but if I had to buy a new one now I think I'd have a look at the cheaper brands based on those test results and maybe get it painted.

Edited by - peterg on 4 Apr 2012 10:30:52

FWIW I don't actually like $10 helmets myself!

I have an Arai shaped head (Baldar Conehead?), and wore an Arai bike lid for many years. When I started sprinting I got it stickered up with the MSA decal, but at every event I would get sh1t from the scrute for not having a legible ACU sticker (it was worn off). So the MSA sticker means dick on its own!

Anyhow, I got tired of the hassle and decided to buy a Blue Book approved lid.

Tried on everything available at GPR, starting with the cheapo Integrale. The Bell range were very uncomfortable, and disappointingly so were the Stig-a-like Simpsons.

As usual it was the most-expensive-one-in-the-shop (the Arai) that fitted perfectly!

That's life I guess! *smokin*