Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

oil filter positioning on dry-sumped xf 7

KayTee

Hello !

I have a BDA based on the 711M xf block, dry sumped and with an external petrol pump.

I am wondering what the best place would be to put the remote oil filter.

Can the petrol-pump blanking plate be used, or would that interfer with the steering column ?

Front end of pedal box ?

Thanks in advance !

All the best - Karsten

Hi KayTee

I moved mine to below the carbs. Well out of harms way .

The battery is on the heater shelf so its very easy to get at, the filter housing is bolted to a 4 mm piece of aluminium which is pop riveted to the frame. I used BIG 4 mm dia. pop rivets (similar to the ones that use to fix the coolant overflow bottle) and enlarged the old holes for the side skin pop rivets.

It does need new non Caterham part oil lines.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension. Q 979 CGY

Thanks for all replies !

Peter: it doesn't interfer with the steering column on a rhd car, that way ? Which length of filter do you use ?

I also like the position on the chassis rail under the carbs. Rivnuts could be used for attaching the bracket, as well, couldn't they ? From below ?

If mounted on the steering rack cradle, with the filter facing downwards, wouldn't it be in the way of stones entering the engine bay ? Pierced oil filter and loss of oil pressure spring to mind ?!?

Or am I completely off ?

Cheers ! - Karsten