Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Powder coat rusting/flaking away - which Hammerite?

Dirty Den

Looks like the powder coat on one of the horizontal bars in my chassis has started to flake/rust away where the car has been jacked up there, rather than at the jacking point at the front towing eye.

I suspect there might be an answer if I search, but this looks like an easy extra post to me! *wink* *thumbup*

I'd like to try and take it off with a wire brush, do something about the rust and then paint back over it. What's the best Hammerite to use, that's a close match for the powder coating? Does Hammerite contain anything to kill rust, or am I going to have to buy something to paint over the rust first (such as a Loctite etc rust killer?), then use the Hammerite?

Any suggestions? I should point out that the car hasn't been Waxoyl'd, which is another job I'm hoping to do on the car sometime....

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Mr. GILBERT you speak the truth ..... I have sorted out my flakey powder coat with Satin Finish Hammerite - it is such a good match with the original powder coat that I have touched up areas on my windscreen and wipers as well as my wishbones. Smooth Finish looks a bit "do it your self" IMHO.

DirtyDen - have a look here .... this is what I asked and what every one said....

Have fun!

Cheers

Alex B

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue with Black Bits

Edited by - abirtwisle on 19 Oct 2002 20:45:02

I've got 5 days of holiday to take, and these will be spend doing this very job. I've also been recommended down the frost route as I've been informed that Hammerite goes brittle and is then liable to chipping off with the help of small stones.