Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Draining the cooling system - 1600 XFlow

Dirty Den

I'd like to change the coolant in my crossflow this weekend. I've done a search and I'd just like to check my understanding, make sure I've got it right. The suggestions to do it seem to be:

1. Undo hose from bottom of radiator and drain cooling system, reattach hose.

2. Fill system with water/coolant.

3. To force any airlocks out of the system, jack car up at front, let car down. Repeat for rear of car.

4. Fill again as necessary.

5. Take car for drive to check.

Is there anything I've missed? My cooling system is not a sealed system. How would the procedure differ for a sealed system?

On a related issue, the person that I bought my 7 from suggested to use distilled water in the cooling system, but I've just added a tap water/coolant mix as I've needed to top it up - I've never used distilled water like that before *confused*. I guess using distilled water would stop furring from taking place - does anyone else use distilled water in this way? Should I do so when refilling the cooling system?

TIA,

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Den

I only normally jack the front up, fill the system and then squeeze the bottom hose several times until air bubbles stop rising in the filler cap.

With regard to what to fill it with I use the Comma pre mixed coolant (I think it changed its name recently) but its available in 5 litre containers from most independant motor stores

Hope this helps but I'm sure another Xflow owner will be along in a minute *cool* 😬

Graham

*confused* The not so New Competition Secretary, in fact already jaded *confused*

*cool* 1700 Live Axle X/Flow, new pb at Curb, Loton Park and Shelsley Walsh in 2002 *cool*

Den,

Check if you have the little plug at the bottom of your rad - should be on the left side looking at the car from the front. Undo this (8 or 6mm Hex I think) and you can darin the coolant in a much more controlled manner - i.e not all over the floor!

You can then take off the hoses if you want to to get the last free dregs out - I also take off the rad and wash it out in the bath - don't tell the misses that bit!

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Where do you live? Is your water hard or soft? Normal antifreeze should do the trick in holding calcium in suspension so don't worry. If you want soft water use cooled boiled water as all the scale forming elements have come out in your kettle.

If you use demin water as suggested it is very corrosive with a pH of around 4-5 so you would need to add a buffer or inhibitor to it anyway.

Move to Wales, the water is soft!!!!! 😬

Dave Robertson

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.

If you use demin water as suggested it is very corrosive

So it would be an idea to get that drained out, sooner rather than later then? *wink*

I also take off the rad and wash it out in the bath - don't tell the misses that bit!

So many blackmail opportunities, so little time... *wink* *tongue*

Den

From memory, distilled water (which is what was originally mentioned in this thread)is pH neutral - otherwise all my old chemistry notes are rubbish. However, this stuff is hideously expensive when bought in a garage and I have never had a problem using tap water in the cooling system. Bear in mind that it is a sealed system and the amount of limescale present in a few litres of water replaced every x years is minimal. Otherwise central heating systems would give up the ghost very quickly.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I used to use distilled water, but gave up and it hasn't done any harm (and I live in a hard water area). I also don't bother with jacking the car up. What I do is allow it to stand for a while, after all there is always some other little job to do). Then I run the engine for a minute and refill. Then I run it until the thermostat opens, and fill it again. Finally I top it up after it's first run, when it's cooled down.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Cheers Steve, do you mean stick a hose pipe in from the top and flush the crud out through the bottom, using the hose? I doubt I'll get around to it this time, I want to get the job finished tonight.

I've got the car jacked up at the moment. Couldn't undo the plug that Phil mentioned, seems neither my 6 or 8 mm hex keys will undo it - looks like I need a 7 *cool* mm hex key, which just happens to be a size I don't have! ☹️ So, I had to undo the bottom hose and drain it out from there. Managed to not get it everywhere. *smile* *thumbup*

The fluid that has drained out absolutely stinks - smells like fish. It's practically black too, which I'm sure isn't good. I'll leave it to finish draining out and then get back to it. *thumbup*

Den

Phil,

I worry about you... Are you saying that you bath with your radiator sometimes...

Do you brush it's fins with toothpaste and say good night to it too? *smile*?

I understand the don't tell the misses to be bit....

Now if it was an ali rad that would be different. They need looking after! *tongue*

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

I need a sanity check here guys. *confused* I drained the old coolant out into a tray, and it doesn't look like there's much there, although the system was topped up nicely before I drained it.

I've now been refilling the system after doing the hoses back up. Using my trusty measuring tool (Robinsons fruit juice, 3 litre container) I mixed up a 1/3rd coolant, 2/3rds water mix, and refilled the system. Now I reckon I've put in the region of 2.5 litres in, but it seems that I might not have yet refilled it. I did the jacking up of the car thing, and also gave the hoses a little squeeze to help the airlocks out.

As far as I can see, the garage floor isn't covered with coolant/water mix, so it must be going into the cooling system. *confused* Anyone know what the capacity of the cooling system is on a 1600 Sprint?

Den

Hmmm My guess would be about 5 litres (a little less if you con't have a heater). I would run the engine to pump it all round, and then see what it looks like. If it's still black and smelly I would drain it again.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Graham,

Throw away your chemistry notes!

Distilled water is only pH neutral for a very short time - it absorbs CO2 very quickly to become a very dilute solution of carbonic acid with a pH of around 5 since there is no buffering salts in place.

Don't even consider using anything but tap water, scaling will not be a problem even in very hard water areas, as unlike in your kettle, there is no concentrating effect due to the cooling system being essentially closed.

Paul

If you want to flush a x-flow cooling system, remember that the lowest point on the engine side of the system is on the nearside of the block, towards the back IIRC. Helpfully, it'll be behind your exhaust manifold/downpipes. It's a hex plug. If you've never removed it before you will get some deeply satisfying gunge out of it.