Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series dry sump pumps

JonP

AFAIK, the only real difference is the pumping capacity. The gold pump came in to address the perceived problem on SLR race cars a few years ago, that the oil wasn't being returned to the oil tank fast enough after a corner. Or something like that. It was (it would seem) then necessary to fit a much more sturdy tube from the sump to the pump, as the original job would collapse due to the degree of vacuum generated by the pump, and a swirl tower became necessary due to the amount of aeration in the oil. One bodge leads to another ? *smile*

It would seem that Caterham have since decided to offer just the one pump.

Hi,

Yes I have run the purple pump without problems too, but then its only (old boy 😬road use. I raised the question because everybody always seems to refer to the 'gold' pump and I wanted to check I was not leaving myself open to an engine failure! I don't have the anti aeration tower either, which having read various threads about K series oil problems is probably NOT a good idea. Suspect I actually need an Apollo system.

Cheers!

Eliseless and Se7ening again!

Steve ,

I probably dont run as hard as the SLR race boys for 30 mins , but not far off it for 20 mins at 7400 - 8000 rpm on track as ECR and Keith J will testify .

I was seeking the answer why the purple pump was uprated realy . Was is due to engine failiers due to scavenge rate or just to allow a greater safety margin .

Also was the tower fitted at the same time as the gold pump as a result of greater areation through larger capacity pump or ????? .

dave

*biggrin*

Steve / Dave,

I guess the pump rating is dependent on how much oil flow you have, so on my low miles road engine purple is OK!

I'd be interested in the history of or desirability thereof of the 'tower'.

One for PC perhaps or RK if they are out there somewhere!

Thanks

The scavenge pump must be rated above the rating of the pressure pump. It always has circumstances in which it has to "catch up". The caterham dry sump runs a single pickup and the K has known problems with oil collecting in the head in corners. This all makes a higher capacity pump a good idea.

All dry sumps aerate the oil and need de-aeration built into the tank in some form or another.

The way you determine for certain whether the pump is rated sufficiently is you run a smaller pump or gear down the pump until engines go bang on a regular basis. You then go up a size or gear up the pump. This is more or less what "experience" tells you and where people like Pace are coming from when they run double the scavenge capacity vs. pressure.

Re the oil gathering in the head - how can a bigger pump clear any more oil from the head , when the reason the oil gathers is that the drains are not positioned for the angle of the K in a seven ? , that is , there will always be a set volume of oil in the exhaust side until it reaches the drains where gravity takes over ?

The scavenge *is* greater than the pump with the purple as a vacum is formed in the engine , this vacum is stronger on the gold pump hence the clucking noise and a bigger hisss when you remove the cam cover oil cap .

Is the de aeration capability of the bell tank alone sufficient with the purple pump ? , as the oil is resident in there longer due to the lower pumping capacity .

Just thoughts ........

Dave

Sorry, I was just talking from a theory POV.

The head drainage means that the pump has to catch up when the oil finally ends up down below - hence the putative need for a big capacity pump.

All dry sump systems have higher capacity scavenge than pressure. The question is all about how many times more capacity do you need. Answer: As much as prevents blow-ups.

The oil is not resident in the bellhousing for longer because of the lower scavenge capacity. In fact the other way round - the gold pump will get the oil to the tank quicker. The pressure side is the same.

JonP,

My purple pump system came without the swirl tower. I have the swirl tower now (a small story), but it worked fine without. Dave J's works fine without and he's clearing 200bhp and lots of track use. Despite R500s having Apollos as well as the full DS system, I can't see it being necessary for you, given your stated usage.

V7

If a pump causes aeration, won't its vanes/rotors eventually exhibit "pitting"?

I think you are talking about the effect that you get with water when it cavitates. The pump design is different and oil is a bit less aggresive than water in these circumstances so there are no ill effects. The biggest problem with DS pumps is when they ingest bits of blown engine 😳

The car in front is a Westfie1d *wink*

• 4 years later...

Would a Brise kidney type DS tank have sufficient de-aerating effect?

I am going to pick one of these up for the ex Peter Carmichael PTP EVO220 K1800 (with purple pump) and I hadn't anticipated putting an extra swirl tank into the system.....

SeaView!!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 29 Nov 2006 18:08:20

Fester. The Brise tank has a de-aeration stage built in. For this to work properly though the oil has to be below the perforated baffle. This is easily visible through the filler hole. In this configuration my K with the Pace pump & the Brise tank holds circa 6.5 litres of oil. Plenty withou overfilling 😬

Dave.