Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mirror, Mirror on the windscreen who has the answer to my problem

Paul R.

I have a 2000 K series with hood etc. My problem is the interior mirror (standard item supplied with car). It gives great rear vision and unlike some mirrors is vibration free. The only problem is that it blocks forward vision being in my line of sight. I am average height (6 foot ish). I had the idea that a mirror on top of the dash would solve the problem, but experiments with a mirror fitted with a rubber sucker prove this not to be a good location. It would seem that the best solution would be a mirror about 1 or 2 inches higher, just missing the hood. Has anyone come across this problem and are there any solutions or suitable replacement mirrors?

Paul R.

There are a number of scuttle mounted mirror options available but because of the angle of the screen you won't have sufficient clearance for these to be practical.

There is one mirror I know of, it's in the Demon Tweeks catalogue under the Classic section. It's a chrome mirror, I've seen it fitted to a couple of sevens and it looks OK.

I tried the suction cup option in the past but the angle of view is somewhat skyward. I decided to use the existing mirror upside down but had to file the socket at the back of the mirror to allow it to angle down sufficiently.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

Thanks guys. I have already tried Demon Tweeks, but will look again at the classic mirror. I did think that one of those on a chrome slider (often on Jags) would do the trick, but not found one yet. Kevin - the scuttle mirror looked like the best option, but as you say rake of screen interferes, visibility is poor and I can't risk bending the stalk at those prices. Nick - have already turned mirror through 180 degrees and it does help.

I may have to resort to Blue Peter tactics.

Paul R.

try fitting your mirror right at the top of the screen and turning it upside down,180degrees.also try moving it off centre

towards the passenger side this helps.Holden supply an extendable dash mirror £29.50 as used on the jag xk140,01 885 488488

you'll find more info if you look at:-

10 sept,whats best for mirror sticking?

CHEERS.C7 POW

• Leadership Team

Paul,

If you mount the mirror "leg" upside down, the mirror will be positioned higher. Problem then is you can't angle the mirror to be usable. But, it may be possible to heat and bend the mirror leg slightly to achieve the correct positioning? This would position the mirror level with the screen surround which would be better.

If you have a go I'd be interested to see the result at the meet this wednesday? (that's assuming it's not a lump of molten mess?)

Stu.

Paul,

I had exactly the same issue on my old car and after a lot of hunting around I bought a morgan mirror from Brands Hatch Morgans in Borough Green Kent for £30. This mirror mounts on an angled upright, which means it positions on top of the scuttle, but not to upright that it hits the windscreen. The mirror with its stand is about 4 inches or so high. The mount, stand and mirror surround are chrome. The mirror itself is about 5 inches by 2 inches.

I can't remeber any further details but also being a a 6 footer, I know the view problem on the front near side with the standard mirror.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards, Andy