Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Reluctant throttle return

Trotsky

vx c 20xe on 45 webers . I've been having recent problems with the engine not returning to idle properly, revs settling to a very fast idle, blipping some times drops the revs but often not. Just had the throttle pedal off and cable out , both were a little stiff in their action, cleaned all sprayed silican lube thru the cable and lubed and refit the pedal , all much better and throttle shuts more crisply but revs still a problem. when I press gently down on the actual throttle linkage there seems to be no physical movement to speak of but revs drop to correct idle speed , releasing pressure and revs rise again. any ideas what the problem maybe. could it be when I have refit the cable I have altered the lenth when tightening the cable nut?

Trotsky

Trotsky.

I had similar symptons with my 45s a couple of years back.

I was using the Weber under carbs cable quadrant assembly, do you have the same thing? If so it turned out to be the bearing/spindle for the quadrant. I removed the cable, disconnected the connecting rod and unscrewed the bolt which goes through the (in my case) black nylon quadrant. There was a plain bearing which had dried out and this was just enough stiction to stop the throttle closing fully as the spring force is losest at this point. Clean and plenty of copaslip sorted it out.

Phil

• Area Representative

Hi Trotsky, I've had this problem a few times over the years:

1. Corrosion of the cable inner, not uncommon on a standard single cable crossflow installation as the termination of the cable outer is vertical/underslung and let's in water. Cured by a new cable.

2. Partially seized pedal pivot bush, cured by cleaning and greasing.

3. Almost invisible broken wire strand on cable inner, snagging on outer. Cured by another new cable.

It sounds like you've checked/cured 1 & 2, but maybe not 3?

HTH,

Cruds

looked at all the suggestions and decided to try simplest first, moved the pedal stop a few mm. Sorted, cheers Paul *thumbup*

It also definitely feels better for cleaning and lubing the pedal bush and cable. which I think was the original problem, the increased revs since refitting down to me probably when refitting the pedal.

Trotsky