Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow won't start - Hall sensor ?

MonkeyBoy

Hi all,

My crossflow won't start - checked at the plugs and no spark, there seems to be voltage across the coil, but i don't think the Hall sensor in the dizzy is sending the right signal to the amplifier thingy. I measured the voltage on the 3 wires coming from the Hall sensor as follows:

Red: ignition on 8.5v, cranking 6.5v

Black: 0v (earth)

Green: ignition on 0.07v, cranking 0.12v

I thought that there should be a higher signal voltage coming from the green wire - anyone know if this is the case ?

Cheers

Alistair

Normally Hall sensors have a 5 or 12v supply, an earth and a square wave signal out to the amplifier.

Ideally check the signal with a scope but if not available turn the engine over slowly and check the output switches between approx 0v to 5 or 12v. Immobilise the engine while doing this just in case it kicks into life (ground king lead)

You may be able to confirm rest of system is ok by 'splashing' an earth to the disconnected hall sensor signal terminal and seeing if the king lead will spark approx 5mm to earth.

If any of above is unclear (probably *smile*) let me know.

Usual disclaimers 😬.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Only just got around to looking at this again (now the weather has cleared up!)...

You may be able to confirm rest of system is ok by 'splashing' an earth to the disconnected hall sensor signal terminal and seeing if the king lead will spark approx 5mm to earth.

When turn the engine over normally there is no spark at the king lead, but splashing an earth to the signal wire (green) did indeed give a king lead spark, so it does look like the Hall sensor. I'm not sure if you can just get a replacement Hall sensor - anyone know ???

Cheers

Alistair

Took the dizzy and sensor out this evening, few pics here

Can't see the Lucas number on the dizzy but has a Aldon sticker on it and 103fxyuls scratched in the side which apparently the Aldon part number for the std dizzy for XFlow Caterhams. The Hall sensor has Lucas on the top and the number 9450 on the side.

Cheers

Alistair