Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ahh god no --- Paint scratch - HELP

Steve Campbell

Dear all,

Many thanks for all your comments on number plate fixing.

However, whilst having a look at the best possible solution, I removed the nosecone, placed it carefully on my usual cardboard to protect it whilst having a look etc.

This morning .... AARRRGGGGGGGGHHHH. I've got an s shaped scratch (~ 10 cm) right up the bloody middle above the Caterham badge !!!

It's not deep but you can just feel the edge of it with your nail. (There must have been a small stone or somefink on the cardboard). Bloody hell. That's the last time I'll be messing about in the semi-dark.

HELP.

The car is Imola Blue (which for those who don't know is a metallic blue) - piccy of the car on Simon's web site - 3rd page.

Anybody got any ideas ? I tried a small amount of T-Cut. Doesn't seem to have had any effect. I've tried a small dab of Mer .... no effect.

HELP ..... PLEASE sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Thank in anticipation for the magic cure .....

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Steve

I have found that an old piece of carpet can be good to put the bonnet / nose on.

As for your scratch. If a good dose of T-cut has not worked then you are in trouble, you could get on the phone to Scratch master - you knopw the mobile scratch removal type vans you see. I think they have more specialsist chemicals, and probibably the guts to put thinners onto a rather nice looking paint job!

Good luck!

Simon

X777CAT

Solution - get more scratches and then stop caring about them so much. teeth.gif Worked for me anyway.

Rubbing compounds if used carefully can get the scratch out, then use T-cut, then polish. It depends on how deep the scratch is though.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) / /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Use a special detergent to be used befor e paint jobs first. the buy the smaller/thiner artist brush. Add some solvent in a tiny quantity of paint from the "touch up" that you probably have bought from Caterham if your Seven came painted. Apply INSIDE in several layers alloving the solvent to evaporate...

Pierre

I used Pierre's method and, if you have the patience, its magic. The secret is many small applications. Don't be afraid to allow the new paint to become slightly "proud" from the surroundind paint. Then, most important of all, leave for at least a week until the scratch fill has become hard, - then get to worek with a cutting compound, but very very slowly or you'll be back to square one.

If done properly, you will not see the scratch at all.

Jules