Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sigma Upgrade - Premier power

Garth

• 10 months later...

Dear Marge,

I'm contemplating a Premier Power upgrade of my Sigma 1.6 - to take it up to either 155 or 175bhp. Both sound interesting. I'd really enjoy the extra acceleration, particularly when I'm out on a blat with folk with speedier kit. however, I don't want to sacrifice what I perceive to be the good reliability of the standard engine. Ai, I worrying needlessly?

Just having my 2 year old Sigma rebuilt and asked this question of a few respected engine builders, including Stuart at Premier Power. I was persuaded that as long as the work was done well, that you were not silly in what you tried to do and you looked after the engine sensibly, the reliability would be very good. Happy to let you have more details of what I have done (and a look at and drive in mine - if you are not too far away?) if you are interested.

Garth

Trickydicky - I am going for about 195bhp on mine, so maybe not so sensible on my side? Premier Power were confident that their 200bhp would be reliable! I was very happy with my 125 to start with, and on the road it is more than adequate! It is on the track that I have felt the need to more power and I hope this upgrade will do the trick (better given the cost!). Be very happy for you to have a drive in mine if it would help - will be back with me in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Stewart at Premier Power is the man to go to. I wouldn't waste my time and money going anywhere else. His workshop is spotless for building engines and he has a first class reputation in the racing world for reliability. Premier Power have built engines for some top names in the industry. He is also one of the few people that deliver what they promise. He also properly understands Caterhams and you can go and see the latest one that he has built himself. *thumbup*

• Area Representative

Quoting TrickyDicky: 
Garth - I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it once it's safely back in your hands. I'm in Hertfordshire - so a bit of a trek to your neck of the woods, but you never know. If not, might see you on one of the blats, such as the Fish and Chip run?

If you are in Herts then go to Ratrace at Potters Bar and speak to Rob and Steve.

I was very impressed with the set up at Premier Power, but it is worth bearing in mind that there are other good engine builders out there too. HWR also have a very good track record and there are several 7ers who have had engines done by HWR over the years with very good results. My little Sigma got 202bhp and 140 lb/ft (190 N.m) on the dyno after its HWR rebuild. Not back on the road yet because of an issue with the gearbox! HWR have been a pleasure to deal with and very open about what they were doing! *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* for Jeff at HWR