Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Calling RD CSR content, am I being thick here

tbird

Just been fitting new tyres to CSR, following GTKNY7 instructions (excellent info ROB BTW) for Jacking, now I can see that the rear jacking position for the CSR is the obvious place under the rear rail as per pictures, but I am Bu663red if I can get axle stands in to suggested positions with the jack in place, fairly normal COSTCO low jack, side handles removed for extra slimness and fairly normal stands, what am I doing wrong,

or did you cheat Rob 😬

Tim

Tim, if the jack won't go high enough, get a piece of wood, say 5" x 2" by about 18" long, which you can put under the triangulation to the rear of the diff, this should get the back up enough to get axle stands in, if you need to get the car up a bit so you can slide the jack and wood under, run the back wheels up on a couple of pieces of 2" thick wood, this should be plenty to give you room to do what you want.

This also works on lesser Sevens too, like R500's 😬 😬

OK, just re-read your query, you can always find other places to put the axle stands, / can't remember where Rob recomended in the GTKY7 article, but the lower front bolts of the lower rear suspension arms are pretty strong, and shouldn't get in the way of the jack. I have put some rubber on top of my axle stands, so that the plastic coating doesn't get taken off.

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 13 Mar 2012 17:19:34

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 13 Mar 2012 17:20:18

*thumbup* *thumbup*

Interestingly I struggled the first time I tried it as the jack was in the way, but then strangely it all seemed to fit together. Jack had to be absolutely in the right place though and stands rotated correctly but I did struggle at first.

Paul cheers, luckily recently had new carpets in house so have carpeted axle stands and jack, and very tasteful they look, 😬 did consider bottom bolts, done wheels now but may have another play tomorrow, just have to watch out for the plumbing running around that area.

Phil yep, Jack slap bang in middle below short upright, but must have " SV " axle stands because no way can I fit them at outside edges of same rail, ended up offsetting jack to get one stand in then carefully lowering jack a couple of inches and moved to one of the corners jacked up and quickly slapped in other stand, didn't see anything bend 😬

As you can see from Jamie's excellent photo space is a bit tight

here

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 13 Mar 2012 18:59:51

I've never been happy with the suggested positions for axle stands on a CSR. IMHO they are too narrow and I always felt that the car was not as stable as it should be.

THISis a very secure way of resting a CSR on stands. I got the idea from a friend who does the same with his S3.

Be lucky!!

Martin

*rolleyes*Hi Tim,

Bit of background info links:

here for all GTKY CSR stuff,

here for jacking, and

here for a good pic of the rear jacks.

So it is a bit snug to jack the rear on a trolley jack and fit the two axle stands either side. It did just fit however; and no I didn't cheat 😔

PS Martins approach is good too. I usually leave my CSR elevated on four jacks over the 6 winter months without any problems. I also shimmey under it during servicing and its fine. I wouldn't sit in it though; on that point I agree with Martin.

Regarding Jamie's excellent photo; I would like of course to point out that there were many people involved in that 'take' ... *rolleyes*

Don't worry, I am off soon.

Rob

Edited by - RD on 13 Mar 2012 19:13:44

Martin *wavey* already got all the measurements from you last year thanks, for your excellent support, , haven't had a chance (too lazy) to make yet

Rob only joking about cheating 😬 notice the two photos differ slightly, the stands are a bit further out on the linked pic, will try that tomorrow, just for fun 😬

cheers both

Tim

Quoting weeman: 
THISis a very secure way of resting a CSR on stands. I got the idea from a friend who does the same with his S3.

Apologies in advance for small thread hijack 😳 *redface* That looks very neat - where did you buy the cross bar and mounts? Or was it a solution you made up?

Just done mine about half hour ago to do some general cleaning. Fixed carpet tile to the A stands as suggested only i used yellow cable ties. *cool*

Maybe i was lucky but i got the stands in positions fine but did leave the TJ in for extra safety, though there is space enough to get it out. *thumbup* http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx195/xtesta/DSCF1979.jpg

Quoting Croc: 
Quoting weeman: 

Apologies in advance for small thread hijack 😳 *redface* That looks very neat - where did you buy the cross bar and mounts? Or was it a solution you made up?

Hi Croc,

the cross bars are cut down scaffold poles. The mounts are steel with drilled centres for the poles, these are held in situ by grubb screws. The blocks on top of the steel mounts are nylon blocks which are fixed to the mounts with recessed bolts, and a thin layer of rubber (old cycle inner tube) is stuck to the nylon blocks (so as to be kinder to the underside of the car).

I had this made by a friend with and engineering firm. The cutting and drilling is beyond domestic machinery. Not expensive though and it can easily be adjusted for other 7's and neatly stowed away.

Be lucky!!

Martin