Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Relocating the inertia switch

Michael Downing

Am thinking of relocating the switch into the cabin as per Caterham's recommendation for track use. I put two wheels on the bumpy stuff during the last track day and had to be towed back...

It looks a straightforward job, I just wondered whether the cable is already long enough or if I'm going to have to extend it?

• Support Team
I have an override switch on the dashboard - simple to wire as all it needs to do is bridge the connections. Override it for track work and still have the safety feature for road.

Some switches are more sensitive than others. If yours trips whenever you bounce over a kerb, and you're intending to race the car, then it needs to be dumped or replaced.

Otherwise you'll be looking at having your rear basket replaced rather regularly!

Where does Caterham recommend moving the inertia switch to? I'm pretty sure that mine's already been moved (or originally was) near the fusebox area behind the dash by a previous ower. Whether it actually works or not is another matter...

wow, I'm amazed that bypassing the inertia switch would pass race scrutineering. You might wish you'd kept it when you're upside down in the ditch with a broken fuel line and the fuel pump still on and covering you in fuel!

Mine's never triggered unless I remove it from the car and whack it on something. How about getting a new one that's less-sensitive?

I've never had one on mine and i think most racers remove them. Unless you're unconscious or have two broken arms there's always the ignition or kill switches.

I think the risk of losing drive mid corner is greater than the remote risk of a split fuel line that you can't do anything about, but there won't be any stats to prove it either way.

If you are doing the Academy I doubt Caterham would be too happy with it bypassed or removed (happy to be corrected if anyone knows different) so best ask the question before going ahead. Moving it to the passenger side of the tunnel makes sense if it has to stay.

I have been corrected *thumbup*

From the Academy regs

The standard fuel inertia cut out switch may be removed or relocated. Caterham strongly recommend the relocation to the left hand side of the gear lever mounted on the centre tunnel just in front of the passenger seat.

Quoting Roger Ford: 
I think the risk of losing drive mid corner is greater than the remote risk of a split fuel line that you can't do anything about, but there won't be any stats to prove it either way.

So far:

Loss of drive mid-corner due to inertia switch: 1

Split fuel lines: 0

although I don't think that's statistically significant yet. 😬

I'm going to have a go at an override switch as I plan to use the car on the road a reasonable amount, and most B roads aren't lined with marshalls trained to look for the ignition cut-out switch. If that proves a hassle, though, it will come off.

Quoting Roger Ford: 
I'd clear that with Caterham first. From what I remember, we were told that we could remove the switch completely, or relocate it, but if it was fitted it had to work. A bypass switch wouldn't be allowed if that's the case.

Hmmm. Good point; the regs seem only to offer three options - leave it, move it, or take it out. I'll ask Caterham.

Quoting CharlesElliott: 
Another reminder that what constitues safety for a road car doesn't always apply in a race car.

Absolutely. Safety is not a simple linear thing with a sliding scale from "safe" to "ooops".

As per a previous post, I was told that if I moved it then having it on the passenger side of the tunnel would probably be the best place - as it would actually be reachable when strapped in by a 6 point harness and a pair of wrist loops. And yes, the loom is already long enough if you just pass it back through the tunnel and up and under the edge of the tunnel cover.