Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ford Puma 1.7 engine ??

Jason Plato

Dear all ,

A mate of mine is considering his options for an engine transplant , high on his list is the 1.7 engine as found in the Puma .

Anyone know much about this engine - standard build spec , tuning potential , gearbox compatability , fit , management etc ?? .

He currently has a very nice crossflow but is seeking a little more modern ( no offence - they are still good ! ) powerplant .

I read a recent article in Dave Walkers collum that it possibly has the potential to exceed the K series in the tuning stakes , once some development is carried out by the major tuning players .

Any thoughts are appreciated .

Dave .

I spoke to Burton's about the Puma Engine, which seems to be known as the Yamaha Zetec and was impressed by the general spec.

Alloy Block, good crank, good head and the power outputs seemed quite good and were based on initial work on the 1600cc engine.

As I was looking for a new engine it seemed ideal and the prices I was quoted were quite realistic.

The main problem for me is that the exhaust system would exit on the driver's side of the car and a maniflod to clear all the steering etc. would be needed. I didn't want to re-panel the nearside of the car so I gave up and had a new Twin Cam.

The "New" Mondeo that has been launched at the Motor Show has a DURATEC 1800 or 2000 engine and it seems that these are new developments of the Zetec and have alloy blocks with cast iron liners. I would imagine if they become the favourite rep-mobile it shouldn't take too long for them to appear in breaker's yards.

I would be interested to know more about these engines if anyone has an inside track.

The new Ford duratec 18/2000cc units are developments of the Ford V6 engine used in the Mondeo ST24 etc. They are a very nice smooth V6 and it appears that this will be translated into a nice 18/2000cc lump.

2 problems.

1) Amazingly complex

2) Not all that tuneable - ford ditched plans to use this engine in the BTCC and used a Mazda unit.

I would like to see the new supercharged mini cooper engine for 2002. I think that would make one mean machine - 185bhp std. Likely to be tunable to the 300 mark.

Simon

X777CAT

The Yamaha/Zetec 1.7 is being worked on for a W*******d installation (not by W*******d themselves as far as I know). There's a shortage of tuning parts around for it at present, like I don't think there are cams available. But then this is how the K-series started out, so the situation will change in time.

Mike

Again the problem with this new Mondeo engine is that the exhaust exits on the drivers side - making a retro fit a complete nightmare, new bonnet, re-skining the side pannels, custom made exhuast etc etc...

However, on the plus side if you want a lefthand drive car then it's great - hence Caterham are using it in the USA (it's also type approved there). It's also an ali block and is vertualy as light as a K-series but should be more easily tunable up to the high 200's bhp - allegedly.