Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Totally O/T - adding airport express base station for iTunes airplay - can't get it to connect!!!

Kevsta

Hello all,

As the title suggests I am pulling my hair out with this. I have had an Airport Express base station for a few years now and played iTunes through it before. I got a new router from Virgin (d Link 615) and got that setup but can't add the Airport. I can connect to it but when I set it up to add to the existing network it restarts and then doesn't connect. I think (!) that it is the dynamic IP (from reading on internet) but when I try to configure it manually I can't get the router IP (the IP I enter apparently does not match the WAN IP?!).

Any help or suggestions gratefully received (my next resort involves a 10lb hammer!)

And just in case someone suggest buying an ABC make or other - I don't want to spend any more money if possible and I know it is working (I can even connect it to the wifi if I add it as a link router - it is then waiting for a hard connection to the modem (I don't need it for that - just to play iTunes).

Kev

• Support Team
Have you done a hard reset on it? That ususally does the trick. There is a pin hole somewhere on it - I used a paperclip I think. You have to press and hold for a few seconds.

I'm trying to connect using the wifi network. So the airport adds itself to the wifi network (like a phone would) and recieves signals from the computer for iTunes.

Yes tried several resets (for clearing old passwords etc.) both soft and hard (oo-er!).

I am using DHCP with WPA2/WPA security. I might later try no security for a short time to prove it will work and then step back through with security - but I am getting stumped (and I am not that great with computers which doesn't help - pass me a spanner!)

I'll read the thread later as need to pop out now...

Kev

If you're using WDS you have to tell each base station about the other, and identify one as master and the other as remote. You have to choose an encryption system that is compatible with WDS on both base stations.

At the IP level you need to make a bridged connection so that the slave (presumably the Airport Express) doesn't act as a DHCP server or an NAT server.

I know how to do these on Airport kit, but not on the D-Link router.

You may find it easier to do all the configuration using wired connections before you ask them to communicate wirelessly.

Jonathan