Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

half doors

Fred

I don't have 'proper' half doors, but some home made ones from an old cover, and I just used the same popers. I use the three on the main body (front and lower edge of the door) and then two on the boot cover.

I found it best to secure it at the rear first and then the top one at the front to set the tension, and then work down and backwards, tugging it tight and flat as you go. With yours this won't be so important as it is shaped I presume.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

You fit poppers to both sides of the half doors , so you can piggy back the tonneau on top of the doors. Strategic use of the directional poppers can make this a much better job. If you have already fitted the tonneau, then the extra width of the poppers will make the tonneau a bit of a stretch to fit. I have found it easiest and most reliable to use a long rivet to assemble the poppers through the aluminium strip. Pass the rivet through the popper and popper base from the inside to the outside and after fitting, dress the squashed bit of rivet with a dremel or suchlike.

Fit two extra poppers into the aluminium on the passenger half door with matching poppers in the tonneau so you can keep half the tonneau in place when driving.

People will kick the half doors as they get in and out of the car.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 16 Oct 2002 14:10:57

• 5 months later...

I am about to attempt half door fitting as it costs £large for Caterham to do it for me while car is being serviced.

Fred: any further thoughts? Did you have to replace the existing tonneau poppers with directional ones? Did tonneau fit over doors afterwards? Was it as irritating as you expected??!!

Cheers

Nick

They are a nightmare to fit - also if you have just bought them the new style dura dot fastners, these dont like to work with the old style ones supplied with the tonneau covers (that i had bought 2 months before !!!). *mad*

-I have given up trying to order anything else from them unless it is a caterham only part -

I know others who have suffered the same problem

Jas

Edited by - jnessling on 10 Apr 2003 14:25:18

yes i replace the existing tonneau poppers, with the one way poppers if i want to fit the tonneau i just remove the doors ,i have never tried to fit on top? the worst part is removing the old rivits.

I have also just fitted Caterham half doors, I ordered the original poppers as well as the ones supplied with the doors. I then fitted the original ones to the doors instead of the ones supplied in the kit, that way I could use my ton poppers to secure the doors and only had to put on one extra *cool*

I fitted mine with a one way directional poper on the top front corner, convientional poper on the bottom front corner then two of the flexible fastener strips with popers that fasten inside the car as per the full doors. This allows the occupants to get into the car easily then fit the half door, getting out is also much easier.

I've had my doors on for a couple of months now, and haven't had a problem attributed to the poppers. I did lose one on Thursday, but that was my fault, I didn't popper it on properly, and pushed it off with my elbow, when I lent on it going around a bend after the car had been slightly airborne.

On the drivers side, I haven'd even used the bottom front popper, so it just has 3 and the top and one at the rear.

The passenger door has 3 at the top and the two at the bottom. *cool*