Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DVA power upgrade

tom7

I have mentioned on another thread that I will shortly have the funds available for a DVA upgrade. *smile* Starting with a standard 1.8K (plastic inlet manifold and Caterham 4-1 Cr@ppy exhaust manifold) I intend to go for the 145bhp pack. I will attempt to get hold a 52mm throttle body to try and liberate a bit more bhp, but funds dictate that DTHTB's and 4-2-1 exhausts will have to wait. ☹️

Does anybody have experience of this upgrade on a standard engine, will I get 145bhp given these restrictions 🤔.

To add an extra element to the equation, I have available a VHPD head and although a full porting job is out of budget, have I enough 'kit' for 160 bhp or will I be strangling the engine through inadequate breathing?

I havn't spoken to Dave Andrews yet, will do so if positive feedback to this post. 😬

Tom

Tom, I note you're based in Solihull, in which case you really ought to pop over to my place in Redditch to discuss this. Dave Andrews is a friend, and has already ported my VHPD head for me last year. I understand quite well what DVA's options are and what works with what.

In addition, I am one of the Worcs L7 club's AO's. You should come to our meetings (2nd Weds) where you'll meet a few people who have had various different DVA or DVA-inspired conversions.

Call me on 07973 347791 any time.

Nig.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

You pillock Hoopy. Are you trying to push up the prices? ["tut" with eyes raised emoticon]

A source gave me info about brand new VHPD heads at around £600... Obviously I'd like one for much less. £250 anyone? [hopeful emoticon]

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Fundamentally from the waist down the VHPD and VVC heads are the same casting so all the important bits .. ports/chambers etc. are the same. The VHPD heads are of course available bare so the cost of the head furniture (valves, springs, collets, caps, cams , followers, bolts etc.etc.) needs to be factored in when comparing the cost of a secondhand VVC head which normally comes fully dressed.

OTOH with a new casting at least you know it's provenance. The cams will be £30 cheaper for a VHPD head and you dont need a £90 blanking kit, nor do you have the complication of remounting the distrubutor cap/converting to wasted spark as you do with the VVC head. The potential of the heads is the same, Peter Carmichael's engine used a secondhand VVC head bought for a disgustingly low sum, he was talked out of buying a £1300 bare VHPD casting.. If you can acquire a bare VHPD head for £250/300 then it becomes almost as cost effective as a secondhand VVC at £450-500 provided yoiu can source the valves etc. at reasonable prices, valves from Rover are about £21 each for the exhausts and £17 for the inlets.

Street price for a VVC head.. £500-550 new, £350 to £450 secondhand depending on condition and completeness. The VVC does have pretty good followers when used as a base for converting to solid.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 16 Oct 2002 21:58:13