Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Short-input shaft 5-speed

Sam Monoogian

Having previously scan-read many of the threads regarding Type 9 boxes I had missed the vital statistic - the 8.1 inch length input shaft.

I'd been under the impression the 5-speed box I had was a Type 9 but on measuring the shaft last week I found it isn't. Without the long-input shaft the sandwich plate will be unnecessary, but this also means the whole engine/bellhousing assembly will be shifted back 15mm - will this cause a problem (apart from the less suitable ratios). *confused*

Am I going to have to source a Type 9 box instead? If so, I've got 2 regular Sierra 5-speed 'boxes and a 4-speed rocket box to part-exchange - and I'd need it by Friday as I'm travelling down to Worthing to (hopefully) install the engine.

Not sure which box you have got but can the gearbox move forward rather than the engine move back...

If you can still mount the rear of the gearbox on the cross member then the main question is whether the prop shaft is long enough (which I would suspect it is...)

Your gear lever will be further under the dash also..

You can't just swap a short input shaft for long as the XR4i long input type 9s have different ratios to the short input ordinary Sierra type 9s so the input shaft gears have different diameters and numbers of teeth. Brian Hill is a good bet if you want advice and/or closer ratios.