Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Protection inside wings

BruceW

Just thinking of painting stoneguard inside the front (cycle) and rear wings to protect them and reduce the noise too-partly as I live up a rather rough and muddy lane.

I wondered if anyone has tried lining them with any of the fibre/carpet looking stiff that now lines modern vehicle wheelarches? If not, any tips to using stoneguard? Is their a rather thicker alternative or does it work fine?

Bruce

(1.6 Roadsport SV in construction.....)

Just ordered a 2.5Kg tin of Rubbercoat from Carlife,around £28 inc p&p.

01943 870148...51 Oxford Avenue,Guiseley,Leeds LS20.

They said a 1Kg (£17)tin was enough for 2 good sized wings,I decided an extra £10 or so for more than twice that and I would do a few other things as well.

I have heard that it goes off quite quickly so use it sooner rather than later once it's open.

use ISOFLEX (Professional) High performance Liquid Rubber. It is about a 10 beans from B&Q and will be in the roofing section.

Make sure you mask anything you don't want protecting and wear rubber gloves. You and your car will smell like and ICI plant for a day of three but it is proven with many in CAM7 to be worthwhile.

It really is well worth the time and effort.

Cheers

Alex B

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue with Black Bits

p.s. Moomin has used the same stuff as me ... I have done over 6000 miles and the wings are in splendid condition.

Edited by - abirtwisle on 16 Oct 2002 20:11:08

The liquid rubber stuff I used has "gone off" now ... it only smelt bad for about a week. The garage now has it's original "warm mobil 1" smell back *wink*

I have heard that other liquid rubber brands stink for months ....

Alex B

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue with Black Bits

Edited by - abirtwisle on 27 Oct 2002 10:10:51

I was also considering something like this when I embark on the build in a couple of months 😬

The consensus seems to be with ISOFLEX from the people on this thread.

Have any of you used it on the unpainted aluminium bits or just to cushion stones under the wings?

Well, the Carlife rubbercoat I used stank for the time it took to go off - and for the time the second coat took to go off.

After two thick coats of the wings I still had half a tin left - so all the venerable areas on my black Integrale now have a coat or three - the areas where stones keep blasting off either paint of underseal - that stank for the time it took to go off as well.

A year on, loads of miles later, both cars still in un-shotblasred condition, I still have some rubbery stuff under the layer of cured stuff in the tin, and the garage still doesn't stink other than gently cooling Caterham.

I will certainly be buying some more.

Bri

(gently cooling off after a very good, enjoyalbe blast across some very wet windy Yorkshire moors in the Lancia)