Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Headlights - svc vs caterham

Dave McCulloch

What are your thoughts on the quality difference between svc and caterham for 5 3/4" black headlights? The svc ones are £115 per pair, whereas the caterham ones are £105 each. Are the caterham ones worth the extra?

Or as an alternative, what about seven speed - £170 per pair?

Thanks

Dave

Im still constantly frustrated by the crap lights on the 7, currently with smaller 5 3/4 units. The beam pattern is pants and I get better visibilty on dipped than main beam as so much light disappears either to the heavens or elsewhere *confused*

I wonder what HID conversion would do.

The HID after market lights will not be legal. AFAIK you need self leveling suspension and headlight washer jets.

I hear lots of folks complaining about the lights on their 7's. I am quite happy with mine and feel they are good. May be it is down to the lens unit. I have Cibie lenses (the bigger bowl size) and a set of those posh phillips white bulbs and the vision is good.

Guy

Quoting TomB: 
Im still constantly frustrated by the crap lights on the 7, currently with smaller 5 3/4 units. The beam pattern is pants and I get better visibilty on dipped than main beam as so much light disappears either to the heavens or elsewhere *confused*

I wonder what HID conversion would do.

Happy with my 5.75" units with Philips Xtreme bulbs *thumbup*

Another *thumbup* for the Philips Extreme bulbs. I've also adjusted the angle of both lights slightly to give a much longer 'reach' which comes closer to matching the car's speed potential at night. Not sure if they'll be OK for the MOT though.

Only problem I have at the moment is the lack of illumination of the bank/pavement/wall on the passenger's side when taking a left hand bend or junction.

Yes, when the authorities decided to allow the use of HID lights in the UK they took the opportunity to specify that they must have: purpose-designed lenses, headlamp cleaning and computer-controlled levelling. I am told this will soon be in the MoT test and any non-complying HID conversions will result in a fail certificate.

BTW, my car has 7" headlamps with the Phillips Extreme bulbs and the result is excellent.

Quoting Dave McCulloch: 
What are your thoughts on the quality difference between svc and caterham for 5 3/4" black headlights? The svc ones are £115 per pair, whereas the caterham ones are £105 each. Are the caterham ones worth the extra?

Or as an alternative, what about seven speed - £170 per pair?

Thanks

Dave

Ordered a pair from SVC a couple of days ago and they arrived today. At first glance the quality looks really good. I paid £113.49 delivered using AUTO11 as discount code (valid until 31/3/12)

Better bulbs definitely worth it. Osram +90% seem to be the most effective and readily available.

However, if the lens and reflector are crumby, getting the light output where you want it will always be a struggle.

As I mentioned in one of my old posts about my conversion to Oscar H4..

An Oscar H4 with a standard bulb gave more effective light that a standard headlamp with an upgraded bulb.

Cibie Oscar lights the way forward 😬

Peter

• Area Representative

Link to Mike's URL.

I've not seen those lamps before but the one tintop I've had with heavily magnified small lenses made me feel like Mr Magoo when night driving. Not sure I like the look of them either, but then I still have 7" chrome bowls and Wipac Quadoptics *smile*

Cruds