Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

'FestAire' cold-air collector...

Unclefester

AnthonyM.....what's your current setup? Do you know how much of the 95db is exhaust noise and what's induction only?

Have you got an airbox? Do you have induction trumpets in it?

Pity you can't leave the car here for a few weeks, I could use it to mock up the standard chassis version of the large Festaire box, which for a 75db limit could be made with some more sound insulating walls. I was going to do it on Roger Swift's car but have been too busy recently.

He's several hours from here....

Edited by - Unclefester on 26 Sep 2012 14:35:28

My French fabricator.

I could make more, but they aren't the same as the ones which go on the Jenveys, which have a flange.

This would need two other operations to make and they'd be more expensive.

I have enough spare alu tube for another 14 sets!

Edited by - Unclefester on 26 Sep 2012 17:57:13

she's not been out of the trailer for nearly a year.. erm.. maybe we could sort something as she is just sitting here doing nothing.. fair old hike tho.

no, no existing air box.

trumpets.. just the standard fit

the moving noise test showed 95 db (+/- 1) on both sides upon pass by.

Edited by - anthonym on 27 Sep 2012 08:24:02

An airbox would certainly help.

The trumpets might have some effect on noise, but I doubt it'd be much. Mine are pipes with a lip rather than being a conical section, so would have less 'trumpet' effect amplification of induction noise.

I hadn't thought about it when I built the airbox, but it's true that it could be made much more sound insulating while still keeping a larger internal volume than the original Scouse design. This is all very well on an SV, but you couldn't fit one like mine on the standard Caterham chassis as there isn't the underbonnet space available.

I think Bernard Scouse tailored the original airbox to the Caterham's limited clearances.