Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What is the easiest way to drain the gearbox of oil?

Alexander Gurr

It's a five speed. The best way is to remove the engine/box but I'm guessing you don't want to do that. I would remove the top plate which can be done in-situ, and then use an oil suction device to suck the majority of the oil out. Or you can do it through the oil filler but that is more difficult.

New boxes do take a while to bed in, so if you are not used to Caterham boxes, you might want to leave it for a while.

Thanks for the advice guys *thumbup*

I am used to Caterham gearboxes, albeit my old car had a 6 speed box and was 10,000 miles old before I got my hands on it. This is a 5 speed and is truly awful from cold...it feels as though it is broken and a few people have already told me to try MTM Redline and it will make a massive difference.

Ian, I will be doing this over the next few weeks, so if you are passing Hertford and are happy to lend me an oil transffer pump it would be much appreciated *thumbup*

Cheers,

Alex

Quoting Bricol: 
Have you checked the level of the stuff in there at the moment? Correct oil level changed the 5spd in my westie from awful, gritty, noisy, to smooth, quiet and feeling quite new *cool*

Bri

I filled the box when it went in the car in October, but am not convinced I managed to fill it completely, so asked Caterham to check at the post build check. They said they did this, butnit just doesn't feel right to me, so am going to try again with a different oil to see how it goes *thumbup*