Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SVA....again...sorry

Bluebottle

Hi Julian.

The tester did pick up on the top edge of the aeroscreen. I covered it with some rubber trim and all was fine. I'll mention it to Westfield - seems like maybe they need to change the finish on this edge?

Instrument edges were not mentioned. And I haven't used the standard Westfield exhaust mount (because it looks clungy, hangs on the GRP only, and limits future choice of can without leaving a mess of the bodywork), so can't say whether it would have passed on that or not. (Pics of my exhaust mount here and here - 28th Sept in build diary)

I've just finished the write-up (with some pics) on the website.

How goes your problems with Pats 'bird?

Moom.

www.megabird.co.uk

The foamy spongey rubber stuff around the wing mirrors is no good now either,took mine in last Friday and they're not allowing it anymore,they want to see something that looks permanent,like the rubber strip stuff stuck on.Same for the aeroscreen.....Jase

Well, if only to defy those who seem convinced that the SVA system is fair and balanced, I would like to know why your tester passed your instruments and not ours?

Perhaps, where you live, people's heads are different and respond to smashing into "2.5mm radius edges" differently from where we live.

Or perhaps it is all bollocks.

You decide.

I'm very happy for you, however. *smile*

Julian,

Yes indeed, it highlights the inconsistencies in the system at the moment. Does Pat have the same gauges and dash as mine? (though I think my dash may be a double padded one, as I am supposed to have a plain powder coated one but that would not pass SVA, so Westfield agreed to loan me a padded one).

It was also slightly rediculous that I got failed on the radius of my manifold hole - chances are if you're gonna catch your finger/head/other appendage on there, you're gonna cook it quite badly on the manifold!

I still had to mutilate the mirrors for a fairly pointless (non)radius on their trailing edge.

FWIW I don't think it's all bollocks (easy for me to say I know) - some of it is, but some of it is sensible.

Moomin

www.megabird.co.uk

Sorry - you misunderstood me. The idea of a safety check isn't bollocks - its a very sensible idea indeed; but what constitutes safe?

That's the "big issue" and the only one that counts.

Why is our manifold apeture safe, and yours not? etc......

Anyhow, on an even more preposterous note:

The last time we got failed (3rd time, from memory), my pal Adam who had taken Pat's car, was asked to get in to the cockpit to look at some daft SVA issue like a protruting allen bolt with no sticky tape or something, and in doing so he sliced his hand open quite badly on the razor sharp seat edge.

The razor sharp seat edge, amongst all the other ridiculous things, has not once failed the SVA test.

As I say,

🙆🏻

The radius of anything on the dash on any car with harnesses, as opposed to reel-inertia belts, becomes a completely pointless test. If your head hit the dash in my Se7en (with 6 point harnesses) then it has already come off your shoulders. *mad*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours