Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

HELP - trying to start rebuilt engine - POBC

skydragon

Background - I've just refitted my Eu3 K-series engine, following a 1600 to 1800 conversion, which also involved fitting a 1400 lightweight flywheel in place of the standard 1600 type.

The car is basically DVA k05 spec and is running a Emerald, now loaded with a new map known to run ok on this new 1800 engine spec.

The 1400 lightweight flywheel which has just been fitted has the following hole configuration from TDC (TDC has been marked on the flywheel); -

5 holes - 2 holes as an oval - 16 holes - 2 holes as an oval - 11 holes

I've loaded the new emerald map and under distributor/crank sensor menu options in the Emerald ECU software, I've changed the trigger pattern to 36-2 (rover 1) as previously it was 36-4 (rover 2) for my old standard pattern flywheel.

The reference position box is still selected as 110 deg BTDC (as per when the car was a 1600) under distributor/crank sensor menu options in the Emerald ECU software.

When I crank the engine I get a green LED on the emerald and if I look at the live adjustments page I see approx 250-300 rpm as a constant whilst cranking.

The problem is, not only won't the engine start but it seems as though somehow the timing is way out and the engine is firing in completely the wrong part of the cycle. To the point it will actually stop the engine turning over... If i try to crank and open the throttle a bit I get flames/bangs out the jenveys. Not good...

We know that the cam timing is set up on the engine ok and that the emerald map is ok and that the car was running fine, before the rebuild.

My suspicion is that the emerald is recognising the crank sensor ok, but that it isn't using the correct TDC point and as such the timing is way out. Perhaps I haven't put the right settings for this flywheel in the ECU.?? Is 'reference position' ok at 110 deg BTDC ??? Is it this setting which is upsetting things??

If I try to use one of the other rover patterns in the distributor/crank sensor menu options in the Emerald ECU software, I don't even get a green LED or see a RPM on the emerald software. So I think 36-2 is correct.

Help....!!

Any ideas??

Has anyone used this type of 1400 flywheel with an emerald and if so what settings did you use??

The flywheel and timing may be a red herring but it sounds like it must be the root cause (??)

Edited by - skydragon on 18 Feb 2012 16:56:33

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris, sorry to be bumping up a slightly old thread, but I (may have) similar trigger pattern issues when coming to start my car again. Was hoping for some guidance in case I have problems!

My current flywheel is a 1.4, so has a 36-2 and I would assume 180 degrees BTDC settings. I'm swapping to a lightweight flywheel with a 36-4 pattern. Can you describe in a similar pattern as your original post the hole configuration of your original flywheel, please? If yours matches mine, then I know what to set my Emerald to when I come to startup time!

Also, I haven't look yet, but how does one identify TDC on the flywheel? Finally, how much does your original 1.6 and lightweight 1.4 flywheels weigh?

Thanks in advance! *smile*