Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quickest way to accelerate?

Dominic Berry

Whilst out in the Seven last night I was wondering what is the quickest way to get to max revs. Just floor the accelerator or gradually (but quickly) apply the right foot? I have no timing equipment but my car (1.6K SS) felt faster applying the power gradually. Is this correct? Does flooring the accelerator just flood the engine?

Dominic

Dominic - assuming you're not having to control wheelspin then just putting your foot to the floor should work as well as anything else. On a modern computer-controlled fuel-injected engine the ECU will supply the 'best' amount of fuel (and best ignition timing) for the combination of throttle position and rpm. At low rpm you find that you only get extra power up to a certain amount of throttle opening, after which the power stays (more or less) the same however much more you open the throttle. The ECU has this information stored in it and knows the optimum amount of fuel to supply in all conditions.

Mike

If you stomp on the pedal, the ECU may not have enough consideration for acceleration fuelling built in. When you gulp in a lot more air, the first few cycles following will be lean unless more fuel is supplied - this is down to the different paths the fuel takes to get into the cylinder.

Injected fuel can:

1. Evaporate off the back of a hot valve.

2. Get sheared into appropriately air suspended droplets in a fast airflow.

3. Wet the inlet tract surface and evaporate slowly from there.

Typically (not my figures, but a real shocker and I can refer you to my source), ten times the amount of fuel that is injected in each cycle is just sitting around wetting the inlet tract walls. At steady state, evaporation into the airflow is at the same rate as deposition onto the tract walls. This is a surface process and the rate of transfer depends on the surface area that is wetted.

When you increase the air flow rate, if you just injected the steady state mapped fuel figure (more), the greater injected amount would deposit more fuel onto the inlet tract walls than would be evaporating. Eventually a new steady state would be achieved where the wetted wall area would be larger than before and the fuel path via the tract walls would deliver more fuel to the cylinder, along with more fuel following the more direct paths. i.e. in between the two steady states, the mixture in the cylinder would run lean because fuel intended to get into the cylinder would be ending up on the inlet tract walls, with no balancing evaporation back into the airflow.

To stop this happening (giving a hesitation on rapid throttle openings), your ECU has to know to supply extra fuel for a short transitional period. This is the ECU performing the same function as acceleration pumps in carbs.

A standard production spec ECU like the Rover MEMS may favour underdelivering fuel for the sake of emissions, but the transients will be poor. I have recently seen two k-series Caterhams with MEMS units that were mismatched to the engines and very poor corresponding transients.

Mike Bees comments cover another contributing factor.

They sponsored Mr Hill no less.

I think listening to F1 drivers etc the best acceleration can be found by gradually opening the throttle but in a timely manner. This also works for coming off the brake pedal - rather than just snapping off it you should gradually remove the pressure off the pedal.

This all went out of the window for Senna - he stabbed at the throttle violently when he accelerated out of corners - this gave him upto 1 second a lap over the likes of Alasi, Mansell etc. I saw a graph of his accelerator pedal movement over a lap at donnington - it looked like a fine tooth comb. on off on off on off etc.

Simon

X777CAT

So if I understand the theory correctly, the ECU *SHOULD* be able to handle me just stomping on the pedal, but due to inadequacies in the Rover box this may not be the best way - ie the gradual application of the power may indeed be the quickest way to get me going (as I found).

Simon, what you were saying... '...the best acceleration can be found by gradually opening the throttle but in a timely manner' was drilled into us by Don Palmer on his Wetter the Better course at MIRA. Everything (accelerate, breake, steer) had to be done smoothly. ie no stomping on anything. This showed itself in faster times aroung the short circuit.

Dominic

Edited by - dominic berry on 19 Oct 2000 09:42:50

I'm still confused as to whether you're talking about getting the best performance out of the engine, or getting the best acceleration on a traction-limited surface...

In respect of engine performance, 'stomping' the pedal to the floor in the space of a few nano-seconds might cause the engine to stumble very briefly, but after that it shouldn't make any difference.

Mike

Mike,

I'm talking about on a dry road, in 2nd, 4000 rpm, then stomping (or not) on the gas. When I did this a couple of nights ago, the car felt faster when I applied the gas (relatively) slowly. The car is a 1.6SS so the cams are just starting to come in. Traction was not an issue. There may have been no difference in acceleration times - it just *felt* faster.

Dominic

Dominic

Dominic,

What tyres does your car have and how old are they???

A 140bhp car should not be spinning the wheels everywhere unless you are dropping the clutch and using too many launch revs.

Do you have a limited slip diff??? What ratio?? Does the wheelspin happen when you are going dead straight??

Answer these and we'll be able to help.....

Incidental....

All engines will splutter a little if you whack open the throttle when they are not 'on cam'. This is the maechnics of inlet tract velocities, not ECU performance. The Supersport ECU is written for sharp response unlike the ECU in a stock K Series where the enrichment map is written with economy in mind rather than acceleration. Software aside, the ECU and throttle pot can process commands far quicker than any human can detect.

Arnie

Arnie,

You are right, traction/wheelspin are *not* a problem sad.gif (see the previous post). I think you have hit the nail on the head with 'all engines will splutter... when they are not on cam'. As I said the difference felt marginal - or it might just be me talking boll*cks. I'll take you out at the next meeting & show you what I mean (about the acceleration not me talking boll*cks).

Dominic