Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Throttle body 2nd return spring (MSA Reg)

apjenkins

Hi Guy's

Having replaced my cra* plastic throttle body with a 48mm Alloy one (thank's Oiley) I note that the alloy one only has one throttle return {clock type} spring as opposed to the two fitted to the plastic throttle body. Whilst I appriciate that the T.P.S. has an internal spring, I don't think that will 'wash' with the MSA Scrut's.

So what is the best solution for a second spring at the throttle body??

Pic's would be great.

Thank's

@ndrew

• Area Representative

Andrew,

If I recall correctly, the therm is something like "one spring per throttle spindle".

The standard throttle body return spring has been OK with scrutineers all the time I've been running my car.

So is it Class 4 next year then 😳

My understanding of the regulation from what the scrutineers told me and reading the blue book is that each seperate throttle shaft should not rely on any linkage between them and therefore needs a seperate spring.

If you are using a single throttle body there is only one throttle shaft therefore only one spring required.

Page 144 Reg 5.4.2. Be equipped with a positive method of throttle closing by means of external spring/springs so that in the event of failure of any part of the throttle linkage the throttle(s) are sprung closed.

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 13 Feb 2012 20:14:54

Quoting Richard Price: 
Andrew,

If I recall correctly, the therm is something like "one spring per throttle spindle".

The standard throttle body return spring has been OK with scrutineers all the time I've been running my car.

MSA Blue Book J 5.4.2. Be equipped with a positive method of throttle closing by meams of external spring/springs so that in the event of failure of any part of the throttle linkage the throttle(s) are sprung closed.

Lee

Andrew,

I am sure that you will be fine running with an 48m alloy throttle body in class 2 or 3. The regs state that you can replace the standard tb with a 52mm one, which is what I did on my Roadsport A, so I can see no problem with going from a plastic 48mm to an alloy 48mm. Caterbram is confusing the plenum and the throttle body - you will still be using the standard plenum with the new tb so there is no problem with the regs in that respect.

Talking of return springs, has anyone ever fitted an external secondary return sping to the standard PTP throttle bodies I have on my SLR engine?

I had my throttles stick at Llandow 2 years ago which "we" (thank you Mark) fixed with a cable tie around the spring to hold it on the shaft properly. It stayed like that until they jammed at 8K rpm in 1st on the road. 20yards in not enough distance in which to hit the clutch, brakes and ignition, just so you know! Long front and several other bits totalling about 5.5K£ later is not something I want to repeat.

I've been meaning to come up with something mechanical that will shut the throttles should this happen again, but to date, I can't think how to do it. If anyone has any bright ideas, please feel free to pass them this way.

By the way, if you run throttle bodies, it's worth a strip down and service (graphite lube spray is excellent) every so often. There was an amazing amount of crap in there that you couldn't see until they were in bits.

Stuart