Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Power/Boost Pack

Mark Gibson

I would like to buy a portable power pack for jump starting the 7 (140bhp 1.8K series) and 2.0 litre petrol Mondeo tow car (when we run the battery down by using the coolbox too much in the summer).

I have seen that Halfords are selling a decent looking one which has a number of features (pump, light, power socket) for £99 but the user comments have made them sound quite flimsy here

Has anyone got any recommendations for ones they own?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

• Support Team

Hi Mark - The Halfords one only has a 20Ah battery whereas this one from Machine Mart has a 38Ah battery and is the one I was thinking of getting or the coming season. Costs a bit more than the Halfords one but seems to get good reviews.

The JS900 linked to above doesn't have the Ah listed but at the weight compared with the JS1000 is likely to be around 17Ah. This matters if you have to jump start several times over a race weekend.

Shaun

Edited by - Shaun_E on 7 Feb 2012 14:10:15

I've had one of the Halfords ones for several years and I find it very useful. It's great having a built-in 240v inverter for when you need small amounts of mains power. However, I generally find it won't start a car with a completely flat battery. The other negative is that the leads are separate, it would be better if they were built-in in some fashion.

The MM one is probably a lot better if all you want to do is start cars, but doesn't have a compressor, 240v outlet or even a 12v outlet as far as I can see. yes it does.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 7 Feb 2012 13:44:10

i have one like this but yellow bought on ebay

seems to have done the job ok enough, used almost every weekend by the elwells last year *tongue*, and started bmy 2.5 legacy no problem when on a flat battery

they did do a version with a 240 converter and wish i had got that now

rob

I've had that Halfords one for a few years and it is OK but not really ideal for big engines or hard use with say a big flat battery in very cold conditions.

I have also have had this powervamp one for a year

here

and it is very good indeed. This winter it has started a piling rig, a dumper and today a big loader thing. It has also happily started a 8.1 v8 boat in the midst of winter.

I think it has the same battery as the powervamp one in my caterham and can be changed if and when it dies.

I think I paid 150 for it it but it may have been a special show price at autosport.

Will

My Halfords one has worked okay but the ' Crank type' rod that creates the compression for the air pump disintegrated last week after what can only be termes sparse usage. For a top line cost this is bad as that is the function I tend to use mosts.

not my choice and some of the others here seem better value