Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silicone

darren f

Probably a bloody stupid question, but I searched the archives and nobody gave a definitive answer. What has everbody been using as the marvellous silicone sealant which the assembly guide advises me to use 'sparingly' in all manner of places?

Is there an automotive product which is ideal (if so, where from) or does the DIY stuff suffice? (Probably no on the latter, I note the sealing plate on the bottom of the bell-husing oil tank is sealed with the stuff *eek* *eek*- I wouldnt be happy relying on bath sealant holding in my precious engine oil)

Whatever you do Darren dont use the domestic silicone that you get from B&Q etc. It has properties in it that cause corrosion. Halfords sell the small tubes , but a proper Automotive parts supplier will be able to supply.

FWIW you wont need as much as you initially think.

Good luck

Darren - seconded re the domestic stuff, its corrosive.

APEC on Whiffler Road in Norwich should be able to sell you some - if you dont know where it is Whiffler Road joins the Norwich Ring Road opposite the Asda Petrol station entrance by the Hotel Norwich (not the little estate by the Asda main entrance) map here

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings. Which is now bent ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️

Nick,

Nice one cheers- any idea what I should ask for, just 'automotive silicone' or is there a trade name?

JonP,

You've got me worried now- I have no O-Ring (....oooer), only an ali plate and four cap-head screws (which incidently seem very prone to thread-binding in the bell-housing threads... eek *eek*).

Have I been supplied with a duff bell-housing? 🤔

Sorry Darren but no idea, I saw some on the shelf when buying the wrong colour green for my car but thats about it. They are pretty good through and should be able to advise you.

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings. Which is now bent ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️