Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track day wet grip

Jaseb

I have a question for them that know these things:

To set the scene, my last wet track day was Rockingham (and before that Oulton) and I was using 15's with Yoko AVS (which I think are pretty reasonable tyres) but this time I was using me shiney new 13's with 21r's and what I was wondering is Llandow a grippier circuit in the wet than Rockingham/Oulton or was my joyous experience more down to the new wheel tyre combination? I found myself with loads of grip -far more than I expected and hence had a really good time and suprised myself with some new found wet track confidence.

Jane suprised herself too, she made me go out in the rain with her, I got cold and got her to drop me back to the paddock and she went haring off again faster than ever and she's a self confessed wuss in the wet

To see her sliding her way merrily around the bus stop was most amusing 😬

So the question is better tarmac or tyres?

21Rs are happy at quite enormous slip angles. What this means is that the car can be quite sideways and still be totally under crontrol.

Even better, if you go a bit too much sideways the grip drops off gradually, rather than a more sudden drop off which might cause you to loose control.

Even better still they have more grip all round so you can go faster and yet have more grip in reserve.

Experience will be another factor but my first trackdays (wet and dry) were on 21Rs anyway 😬

HOOPY Membership Number 4136 R706KGU

Probably a combination of both, I had a similar experience at Pembrey earlier in the year. The weather was horrendous with continous rain all day. I was on ACB10's yet there was still a huge amount of grip... very very suprising and a HUGE amount of fun.

For some reason Rockingham in the wet is like an ice skating rink, no idea why it just seems to be one of those surfaces that's really really slippy. Places like Donington/Pembrey and by the sounds of it Llandow are in a different league altogether when it starts to rain.

As an aside I'd strongly recommend CR500's as an alternative to 021r's, they seem to last quite a while and are even better in the wet :) (although not quite as good in the snow *eek*)

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 14 Oct 2002 12:45:13

Did Oulton this year in wet but drying conditions on 032s and had far more fun than in the dry because of a number of things:

1) The point at which sliding occurred was at much slower speeds than in the dry which meant I had more time to collect the car and manage the slide *biggrin*

2) That perversely made me think I had less chance of skidding off 😳

3) Having the right state of mind often means going far faster than having the wrong state of mind and a faster car/better tyres

4) Aquaplaning at 90+ down the main straight is only terrifying once you get back into the pit lane and realise what has happened. *eek*

For me, wet weather performance is all about your head, not necessarily the kit you are using. The O32s were fine except in standing water...

Andy

Tyres obviously made a difference but i would point out that the grip levels at Llandow yesterday were amazing.

Other than when pushing on through standing water/puddles amazing performance was available. I do not know any times but i kno the speeds and gearing i reached in the summer compared to yesterday and they were not that far away from each other.

MY 51VEN - SLR

Give it some WELLY!

I was amazed at the grip yesterday at Llandow but had initially put it down to more confidence in the wet ☹️

I was at a wet Oulton a couple of months back ( same Avon CR322 tyres) and couldn't keep it in a straight line or on the track. Yesterday was wetter, yet I seemed to have far more grip, the slides were far more controllable ( apart from the split sec of aquaplaning that you got if you hit the puddle on the corner into the far straight)

As a result apart from it being freezing ( and I'm still bailing out the car and getting clothes dried) it was a HUGE amount of fun.

I wonder what's different about the surface to make it so much grippier *confused*

MikeW

W89 TVV Car no 79

I think Llandow has been resurfaced quite recently; fresh tarmac will have much more grip than old, polished tarmac. I was running ACB-0's (proper race wets) and was astounded at the grip; it was the first time I had used them in anger. Based on other people's comments perhaps the surface contributed more than I realised.

Bugger, and I thought it was me having suddenly gained some super duper wet driving skills overnight 🙆🏻

Not that I particularly care as I had a most entertaining day anyway and will most definitely going back for more and won't worry so much if it's wet or dry.

I have to admit when we arrived and it was throwing it down I was prepared to get fed up and thinking about going mid morning 😳 being a wuss an'all...

Has Pembrey been resurfaced recently do you know Rob?

I could get used to wet days on grippy tracks - cloth seats are no good tho, just the excuse I need for tillets maybe 😬