Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel width advice please

Colin Grundy

I am going to take advantage of Count's bulk discount offer of wheels, but I need some advice on what widths would be the best for my needs.

My car is/will be a 1800K with a DVA tuned unit delivering approx 175BHP.

The rear end is standard de-deon with rear ARB. Use will be mainly road with the odd track day. Tyres almost certainly 021Rs. Now, the standard Roadsport has 6" all round and the Rs vary from 6.5 to 7.5. Which sizes front and rear do you suggest.

Regards

*confused* *confused*

I would go 185/60/13 32R's on 7" rears and 6"fronts . Or if you are planning to take the engine over 200 bhp then go for 8" rears with 205/60/13 32R's .

This would keep a nice ballance without over tyreing the car vs power in my opinion ( and experience )

I would keep the 21R's for wet track use only as they will over heat quickly when trying hard on a dry track , 32R's will offer more grip for the same size .

Dave

Dave, thanks for the reply. Thers nothing more I would like to do than go for 13", but as I said I think they would look silly with clamshell wings. Can you get the size in 14"?

Also as I said the car will be mainly used for the road, I thought 021Rs seemed to be the popular choice or are there any better?

I run 205s on 7" on the back and 185s on 6" on the front with yoko 32Rs. This seems to work well for me and is in anticipation of more power over the winter. Why do you suggest an inch wider wheels in each case 🤔 (This is an honest question not an accusation *wink*

Yes 21Rs get warm on the track but not so warm they'll die horribly, "the odd track day" suggests that they'll be fine. I think its comes down to cost and standing water really - 21Rs are cheaper and cope better with deep water and last twice as long for a bit less grip.

Also, I like the look of 13", purely because I *know* they're better 😬 And I think we should agree that the kids of today know more about style and looks than us oldies (And I'm only in my 20s *wink*

HOOPY Membership Number 4136 R706KGU

I suggested a slightly wider rim - 185's on 7" and 205's on 8" ,just to strech the tyre a little as I get a bit of wall flex with the smaller 6" rims , which I can feel as a sort of lolloping if I realy realy push hard .

Plus they fill the arches a little better .........

I have sen a set of 23rs completly shagged out after a dry session , with the driver kinda trying 90% .......... I still recken they are a good wet tyre and road tyre , but 32R is my choice for dry .

*smile*

Dave