Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stunners - eligibility?

PaulCo

Unless i'm missing something obvious,it looks as though Scudo Stunners are no longer in List 1a of the 2012 MSA Blue Book. Is this because they are no longer produced, and if so, can we still run them, given that they were OK last year?

Paul

I will contact MSA for clarrity.

I would point we always used to have reference in our own regs to tyres that were list 1a this year or last year..... If you see what I mean.

Last year when submitting the regs we were told to remove that reference and we could only refer to MSA List 1a for 2011 - so this year = List 1 A 2012

So if they are no longer in the list we can not refer to previous lists. I hope its because they are no longer manufactured.

Hi Guys

Bad News - and Good News.

I am afraid Stunners are no longer permitted under List 1A (or in fact 1B). This is because the manufacturer has requested their removal from the list. (I guess this is because they are no longer made).

There is no way around this decision - I asked.

However Mark Durrant was chatting to James Kerr (experienced sprinter who he met at Harewood and competes at numerous venues including Loton Park and Anglesey). James switched to a Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 James competes in a 205GTi and has set a number of class records on these tyres and prefers them to Stunners.

Looking at the sizes available I would suggest the 195/50R15 would be a suitable replacement for the Stunner on a Caterham 7

I have checked the Blue Book and they are listed under 1a.

Sorry Chaps Nothing I can do.

Not the best news for some of us - certainly the value of Jon Ward's assets has taken a hit.

We have been looking at the AD08 for the last half of 2011, and have spoken to a couple of competitors in other championships who use them, particularly one of the Westfield guys.

The view seems to be that, although they give good mechanical grip, they have stiff sidewalls, and may suit heavier cars better. Certainly, they may require a reduction in negative camber, so they aren't a simple swap.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

Paul

Well, that's made my day, stunners barely scrubbed in and ready to go, really disappointing news ☹️

Back to the drawing board and hoping SWMBO doesn't read the thread as this years budget is going to take a big hit even before the start of the season, hard to hide a new set of rubber!! May need a rethink.

Dave

• Area Representative
Aha, will there be a surplus of cheap unwanted Stunners out there now... I could be after a decent couple of sets for road use if anyone is thinking of letting them go to fund A539's or these Maxxis ones *biggrin*

Nick I may be wanting to get rid of a decent set of Stunners.

This all a bit of a shock to me. Most of us in classes 1 and 2 were using stunners and we are now all going to have to spend several hundred pounds on wheels and/or tyres for the new season.

This does not seem to be in the spirit of low cost motorsport.

Anyway rant over.....

This year's championship looks to the best organised ever thanks to the efforts of Simon and Mike.

Our club tyre expert (AB) looks to be leaning toward A539's. Could be that the value of 13" wheels will be going in the opposite direction to Stunners.

The tyre war could be interesting in all classes this year.

Graham

Thanks Nick, I can see your strategy, but I’ve got no doubt Stunners will still command a premium. Anway, I’ll be in touch re my competition set (on anthracites), practise set (on prisoners) and spare pair (loose)... 🙆🏻

Paul, for what it’s worth I took the advice of a long standing fellow competitor who said “all 1a’s are ahem...rubbish, just get anything”. The Maxxis were on the shelf, cheap and seem to work OK. I ‘think’ the 539’s and the Maxxis are about the same, and the Stunners had the edge as they warm up quicker (but not because they are a better tyre). If I didn’t have the massive financial burden in tow, I’d try the AD08’s

• Area Representative

Graham, let me know if you are going to let your set go *biggrin*

Jon, with spare tyre stocks like that it sounds like you have brought your work home with you 😬 - although I support they would be a tad bigger than a 15" fitment!