Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New style R400&SLR&500 calipers

Julian Thompson

Julian I'm guessing you're pads/calipers look something like this

Currently the only people making pads for the new style AP calipers are Mintex, you can get 1142 and 1155 compounds at the moment.

I've spoken to Pagid and they are in the process of setting up to produce pads for this caliper, apparently it's used on the MG TF as well as the Caterham the market for alternative pads is pretty big. The plan to start production early next year, I mentioned that there's quite a few Caterham owners who'd are looking to get some and the guys going to let me know as soon as they are available.

If you need to get some pads at the moment Questmead seem to be a good place to go as they know about the new pads/calipers and exactly which ones to get.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Hmm that's a good question, 1142 compund pads where supplied with the calipers when I bought them from Caterham in June so I guess that is probably what they supply on the R400/500. The 1155's are better but aren't in the same league as the Pagid RS14's.

At the moment it's just a case of waiting until some decent pads appear, the 1155's do work fairly well and seem to last for ages although there is virtually no pedal feel with the uprated master cylinder so it takes a while to get used to them. The RS14's should give a lot more pedal feel apparently, can't wait until next year!!

What rear brakes are you running? do you have a brake bias adjuster, getting the front/read brake balance correct is probably even more important than running a decent set of pads on the front. When I initalled upgraded to the uprated front brakes I was running standard rears with EBC red stuff pads, even with a brake bias adjuster set completely to the rear this resulted in the car being completly over braked at the front. I've since moved to Pagid RS14 rears and now it's a lot more balanced.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 15 Oct 2002 11:51:15

The balance feels good on the track, with just me inept heel and toe techniqe spoiling procedings. This is not helped one bit by the massive pedal effort required to haul the car down once up to operating temp.

The rears are again "whatever is standard"!

I suspect I'll just wait and see what developments come out; presumably there will be some new compounds because quite a few R3/4/500's are being sold and everyone's going to want some choice!

Just re-read your post and realised that I ought to buy the 1155 pads since you state that they are superior to the 1142's that I probably have.

I'll get a set of these and do my best to scrub them in for Oulton Park on the 30th.

(I've not driven the car since Donnington on 25th September so am getting withdrawal symptoms!)