Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Live Axle Bearing..is it worn?

Robster

Having recently had my diff rebuilt I am suprised to see that there is a small but noticeable bit of movement in the bearing on one of the half shafts. The movement is such that you can wobble one race relative to the other very slightly. Is this a worn bearing? During a recent track day, hot diff oil seems to have overun the oil seel and is evident by a slight weeping on the inside of the drum, hence taking the lot apart! Would a bearing running in diff oil wear very quickly..enough to explain this play already?

I have had my fair share of rear bearings go on my live-axle car. However, at one point it was determined that there should be a small amount of play inthe bearing but this is made more apparenet by addition play at the diff end of the half shaft (or so said by Ratrace). To the point where I had my diff re-rebuilt FOC to get around the problem.

However, on my last bearing failure (diff oil leaking), it was found that the oil seal was not the correct one for the bearing and that there can be some room for error as both marina and ital bearings fit and somehow I had managed to have a marina oil seal and ital bearing or the other way round and this caused the leak (or so said by James Whiting).

So choose your explanation. Replacing the bearing/oil seal is cheaper than getting the diff repaired - but may only be a temporary solution.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!