Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mini front number plates

andy oliver

There is a little place in Stoke that will make them up to any spec you like. I have front and back

made up semi motor bike plates to suit car.

Simpsons tel 01782 212705.

They can also make up old style plates, as the contact is via a restorer of vintags Astons, Bugattis ect.!!

Don't remember offhand the picture that you refer to, but there's a motor accessory shop in Tonbridge, Kent that will make you any type/size of number plate you want for about £20. They are illegal, of course, although, touch wood, I've never been stopped so far. If you want to know the 'phone number of the shop let me know.

Steve

If you have a personal plate which is misrepresented in any way (ie numbers to big/small etc.)the DVLA employ a 3 strikes system - 3 bookings for a badly displayed number and they withdraw it and issue you a std number.

Be warned - this has happened!

AW

I had mine made by a shoe repair shop the kind you may find in commercial malls close to supermarkets. They can make them the size, the color and the characters you want, chosen from a "tuning" catalogue for 150 FF each.

My Seven front one is the size of a motorbike...so legal...for a motorbike. We all know, and I guess the police does, that the Seven is really a "MAUTO" ( "la moto à Chapman" as we call it here).This size actually matches the nose of the Seven and really does not catch the attention because it is so in proportion with the nose.

And you improve the S Cx so much...

Pierre

I've got small plates ( 12" x 2.5" ) , even though I got caught speeding on a camera - obviously they can be read . The rozzers pulled me over a few weeks back and gave me a £20 fixed penalty , a producer and I had to visit a MOT station with std plates to get the document signed off ( £ 5 ). The poor soul who joined the police force cos he could'nt find any other employment , informed me that I could recieve 3 points & £20 fine but , because he liked the car he ONLY gave me a fixed £20 fine . I did consider explaining that they are in proportion with the rest of the car or that they had shrunk in the wash , but thought better of it ! .

Needless to say the small plates went straight back on .

I think they realy target those who are clearly attempting to either distort the letters or are using a font which cannot be read by a camera .

The plate manufacturers are found in the back of rags such as MaxPower , Fast car and Fast bikes and you may have to sign a disclaimer that they are "for show/ off road use only " .

Mine cost about £25 for two inc postage .

dave

Dave, you said you could have been given 3 points and yet you put the small plate back on. Why?! I would have thought points are enough of a risk as it is, without shortening the odds!

JMHO as Alex would say.

Cheers, Nick

Nick ,

no real reason why they went straight back on other than , they look much better ( reason everyone fits them )and it was the first time I got done in 11000 miles ! ( not bad odds ) , I have been stopped before but they had always turned an eye of poor vision !

Dave :-)

My number plate fell off a while back - the car looks much better without one at all!

Dave, may you have at least another 11000 trouble free miles; I'm being Mr Meek and swapping back from sticky to normal!

Nick

You might like to know that when the registration format changes next September (1.9.01) the font will be mandated as based on 'Charles Wright' and reduced from 57mm to 50mm wide. This will only apply to the new format ie 'AB51 DVL'. Transgress and you will face a fine (max £1000!). Imaginative use of fixing bolts will also be cracked down on. But they (DVLA) will still be happy to sell specific registrations for the usual fat fees! Doesn't seem entirely consistent to me! Aren't they nice to us!