Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Paint problem pics

Red SLR

I have had a look at the pics.

It seems to me that the nose cone fastners we probably not properly de-greased before painting.

The mark on the nose cone looks like where the front edge of the bonnet has benn rubbing.

I am not sute about the marks on the scuttle but again it could be down to the rear edge of the bonnet rubbing.

Are there any areas where there is not possible contact that are flaking as I suspect that Caterham my say the same.

It's a bummer all the same Simon and I hope you get a successful result.

Good luck

Peter

IMHO ..

1. Scuttle and nosecone abrasion by badly fitting bonnet. If built by Caterham, they should get the bonnet fitting so it rests on the foam not the paint.

2. Side panel abrasion by bottom edge of bonnet. A design feature ? The bonnet is pulled down onto the top of the side panels so I think paint damage is inevitable.

Just an opinion though - good luck with Caterham.

Looking at it logically I think that Caterham should re-spray the front nose and touch up the scuttle. Then use some sort of foam tape to protect the paintwork in these locations from chipping. I beleive that a problem like this should not be showing itself after only 6 weeks of ownership. If this much paint is coming off now then in 12 months it is likely to be in a sorry state indeed.

Simon

X777CAT

Peter - no problem put a link on there by all means.

Minty - Caterham did biuld it - I think the problem is that the bonnet is not resting on the foam. This could be cured by me putting new foam on there but all that would do is cover the damaged paint - I would like the paint in tip top condition before I apply any more foam strips.

Thanks

Simon

X777CAT

This is the first time that I have seen the Dzu's painted - normally they are left unpainted. So this might indicate a second coat of paint was required to fix a damage problem. This might also be indicated by the damage to the scuttle/front nose.

However, the damage on the mating surface of the bonnet to the body appears quite common as the two surfaces are pulled together by springs and there is nothing to stop them chaiffing.

From the reg no (x777cat) I assume this is a new car from Caterham, and I would complain about the Dzu's and nose/scuttloe areas.

Good luck,

Graham

Simon,

Serves you right for getting the car painted I say. All that extra weight.wink.gif

I wouldn't worry about the non-visible bits but it's a pretty poor show. I wasn't go to pay the 600GBP plus for a paint job, especially as it means further expense when replacing wings etc. (It costs more to paint a wing than the wing costs).

It certainly looks like the bonnet fit is way off. My foam is showing light signs of wear after 6 months 'enthusiastic' driving and numerous bonnet off sessions.

BTW a Dzuz is the fastner with the big slot that only needs a 1/2 turn to lock it into that springy thing inside, as in the first shot.

Davebo

C7 CAR

Oh, and get some work done. wink.gif

Edited by - davebo on 18 Oct 2000 11:40:47

Looks like your bonnet has not been positioned correctly when you've done up the clips.

Being a bit sad I've realised that in order to get my bonnet stripe lined up nicely there is a certain order to doing up the clips......

As the inside edge if the bonnet is rolled back if this is not on the foam then it will contact the paint - Try fitting the bonnet so front and rear rolled bits are on the foam - if not possible then get some foam and put it in the right place.

Can't see a problem with painted Dzuz - mine are and work so rather not worry... Perhaps your special paint is not very tough? I got a pot of touch up paint with mine - try and use this on nose cone / scuttle.

Put insulation tape along side rails and edges of bonnet. Stops scratching when taking on and off.

Only get a decent repaint done before selling it - it's not going to rust so a quick touch up will be fine. i did this where my jack caused a dent, nobody else has ever noticed...

Piers

Simon,

If you get no joy from Caterham, the contractor they use is TSK Autos - contcat Tony "the brush" Whiting.

Tony is a very reasonable guy and I am sure he will put the problem right (at a cost which cust out the middle man) for you if Caterhma do not come up with an answer.

TSK's phone number is 01322 441604 - They are in Erith

Arnie

Edited by - fast arnie on 18 Oct 2000 13:11:25

At the moment I will see what Caterham come up with, the damage in my opinion has been caused by the biuld person miss placing foam strips. This is Caterhams problem which they will hopefully restore.

I dont want to touch it up at the moment just incase Caterham say I have made it worse. I think they are looking at getting the paintwork restored by a local paintshop which will be overseen by a regional caterham dealer.

We will have to see eh!

Si

X777CAT

Simon

Don't worry about the DZUS fasteners - they are all painted, and the paint will crack off. Only cure would be to replace with new brass ones. I wouldn't bother.

The paint problems all look like abraision due to the bonnet being either slightly out of shape, or resting on rubber strips that are too thin. Very easily fixed.

Once that is done do what others suggest with insulating tape. It's the only way that you'll keep it looking good.

To be honnest I did apply insulation tape to the bottom bonnet rails after having the car for 2 weeks - it has probibaly prevented a lot of the paint being damaged. As for the nose/scuttle I will have to wait and see what caterham say.

Thanks

Simon

X777CAT