Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Crack in engine block

Mikey UC

I say crack – what actually happened was that I was doing the k series 1.4 to 1.8 conversion and got to the bit where I had to grind away some of the block webbing near the starter motor.

I thought I had ground away just enough material to get the starter motor on, then noticed a crack appearing, which was about a mm wide and 5mm long, which I guess must go through to a water or oil way.

So I’m rather hoping I haven’t completely trashed by block (my daughter said daddy was saying lots of bad words in the garage at about this time).

I have seen some liquid metal epoxy glue on the internet that is meant to seal cracks in aluminion, and was wondering if it is any good ?

Thanks for any help

I have uploaded a couple of photos –

here

We have a ductwork company that works for us that said they would be able to weld over the gap, although I was wondering if the whole rib needs to be built back up with some plate as the ground surface is now pretty thin.

I assume it is a water way that I have found ??

Edited by - Mikey UdaleClarke on 24 Jan 2012 08:47:57

What you have found is the bolthole for one the head bolts, these holes are also designed as oil drains to the sump. In removing so much material you have compromised the strength of the tunnel that the bolt goes through so you will need this to be re-eastablished with some weld build up or the tunnel will 'crush' when the engine is bolted together. This will likely cause HGF on that corner of the block.

Oily

Thanks for the advice, I’ll get it welded.

Its good to hear the k series has been welded in the same place before and survived.

Had a crap morning – couldn’t hit a thing at cricket practice, so thought a bit of Caterham tinkering therapy was in order.

Perhaps I should have stuck to my crossflow as I’m obviously too ham fisted for a k series.