Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy dry sump pump belt

TomB

My dry sump pump belt is noisy when running. The noise stops when it is squirted with WD40, but eventually returns.

It is likely to be a worn belt? The car (1.4 K SS, purple scavenge pump) has done 8500 miles. I have ordered a new from Caterham as I think it probably is.

Should a belt wear out after this milage?

Cost - £26 from caterham strikes me as expensive for a relatively short belt?

Could I have got one from anywhere else?

Cheers, Tom

I wouldnt spray any belt with WD40 or any other oil , as the belt could well slip and hence no oil to engine .

The type code for this belt is 3PK820 ( 3 peak - 820 length ) , you should be able to source this from a good motor factors .

Fit the new belt and if the noise persists then clearly there is another problem to find and solve . Its a bit odd to have a noisy belt unless its too tight or loose .

dave

The belt is quite tight. There is about 5 mm movement in the belt ie. tighter than the Alt belt. Would this cause a noise?

How much vertical movement do other people have on their dry sump belt?

3 peak - the number of ridges on the belt?

820 length - millimeters?

Caterham have sent me one that is too wide (5 ridges) that is 67 cm long, marked as K648.

Edited by - TomB on 15 Oct 2002 21:38:31

£26 seems way too much for a DS belt.

Last time I got a DS belt for a purple pump from Caterham it was a 3PK825 and was a struggle to fit. I bought the next one not from Caterham and got a 3PK835. Those extra 10mm make fitting much easier.

This is all with the automatic tensioner, I'd better add.

Sounds to me like they've sent you an alternator belt. Does it look like what is already fitted ? (re-reading your email, obviously not... and yes, peaks are ridges and the length is in mm.)

I am told that race teams replace these belts after every race. Seems a tad excessive to me. I treat it as an annual service item, and change it every year. Which is probably still excessive.

Edited by - nick green on 16 Oct 2002 11:17:20

Have you tried turning the pump over by hand? If there is excessive resistance it might cause problems with the belt in which case it needs to be tracked down.

Whatever, start by degreasing the pulleys using carb cleaner and replace the belt. If you have been squirting WD40 on the belt then it is no longer worth keeping.

What is the best way of fitting them? Loosen the adjuster till the belt can be slid off?

When I get a belt sorted I will remove the belt & see if I can move the pump pulley by hand. For future reference, why shouldnt I put a little WD40 on belts? Is there special belt conditioner / lubricant?

I have cancelled the Caterham order for a oil pump drive belt (£26.60 + VAT) and found a local supplier for a 3PK820 / 25/ 35, for around £4 + VAT. These are Bosch belts with a 12 month warranty, so they dont sound like cheap & cheerful ones.

The chap on the phone said the world of belts is quite small with only about 4 makers (Goodyear, Bosch, AE). A belt that we use for a dry sump pump, might be used for a power steering pump or air con on another car, so they are multi use.

Are the belts Caterham supply very good quality or are they subject to succesive marking up through a supply chain, or is Caterham making a stack of cash?

PS - oil pressure seems OK (1-2 bar at idle, 2-3 when driving)