Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cold weather starting

Golf Juliet Tango

Be carefull with jump leads or a starter booster on a drained battery, the instand power surge from the good battery to the banner can knacker it instantly, the lead plates will bent and lose their function. you end up with a battery with less capacity, you can even fry the alternator on both cars in the case of jump leads.

• Area Representative

Nice coldish morning but no ice on the windscreen.

Friend over so I can measure the voltages.

Voltage at rest 12.4V

Cranking Voltage 9.8 to 9.5V

No go but lots of turnover.

Further information.

Friday morning. Certainly colder than today. Ice on the screen.

21 in front of garage as I wanted to leave at 07:00

Lots of cranking. No firing.

Got the battery out of the Crossflow (stuck in the garage behind the 21)

Link the batteries together. No go.

Lock everything up. Close all the doors, bonnets and such like. Call International Assistance and borrow the ex's car. Start it. 5 minutes to scrape the ice off, then go.

• Area Representative

Quoting elie boone: 
Be carefull with jump leads or a starter booster on a drained battery, the instand power surge from the good battery to the banner can knacker it instantly, the lead plates will bent and lose their function. you end up with a battery with less capacity, you can even fry the alternator on both cars in the case of jump leads.

Thanks Elie.

It's not a drained battery.

• Area Representative

Quoting BIO: 
Will a bigger battery fit or two Gel batteries wired together.

John, I tried two Banners in parallel and that did not help. What no-one has said (and I don't seem to be able to find out is whether gel batteries have better cold weather performance. I have read of their disadvantages and unless there is something noticeably better in their output when the mercury is low, there is nothing of advantage to me in a gel battery.

That sounds just like my car used to be...

I never measured the battery voltage, but I think you just don't have enough fuel going in, so there is nothing to ignite. Change the map to the settings I sent, and try again. It's 2 degrees outside, and again it started on the button.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...