Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heated windscreen

Michael H

Does the heated windscreen actually do anything, or is mine broken?

Went out for a blat with the chaps this morning, -4C, windscreen is continually icing up and the car is not really safe to drive. Came home again. Windscreen heater not making any discernible difference - I guess mine must not be working?

Incidentally it was so cold that my front grille is partially iced up... 😳

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all,

Yeah, it was just a blown fuse. Worries me a bit, because fuses don't usually blow without a good reason...

According to older emails on this topic, the current drain from the winscreen heater is around 7A. This is a little close to the rated 10A fuse, so I've replaced the bad fuse with a 15A jobbie which should still provide protection if there's a real fault but gives a bit more headroom.

It's working fine now, but the cold weather has disappeared for the moment as well.

Cheers

Mike

If the normal drain is 7A, you would expect it to be higher on startup (since the resistance of cold wire is lower than that of hot wire), so 10A does seem to be rather low. Allow for a fuse which perhaps isn't spot on it's rating (20 fuses in a nice box for a quid from Poundland?) and you probably don't need to worry about the fuse having blown.