Click here if you are having website access problems ×

garage floor paint

Stef

• 6 months later...
Jonathan, I'm in the same situation as you now. I put two coats of Garacoat down in spring last year and although initial thoughts were excellent it's lifting where my Seven's CR500s sit. I'm now looking at tiles although I've not yet decided whether to go for plastic or porcelain.

OK, whilst on the subject. Just put the C8RHM away after a run out to Cholmondeley today, and noticed this thread so...

1930's semi, bard concrete garage floor. when it rains the floor gets damp - not pools of standing water - just goes a darker colour and smells damp. Is it best to:

a)paint

b)tile

c)plastic membrane and then tile

d)leave bare so it can breath?

@Nigel

is the garage attached to house,

is there a damp course in the garage walls and if so how high above the garage floor,

could you afford to lift the height of the garage floor by about 1.5 inches

if its not attached to house damp course is irrelevant.

I rent a garage with a damp floor , enough to cause quite a lot of condensation in garage in winter. what I did was put a couple of layers of visqueen down, with edges 2 to 3 inches up walls then laid some 2 x 1 tanalised battens across garage at 24" centres, just fixed them at either end of batten with concrete screws, laid another 3 layers of Visqeen loose on top of battens and again up walls, then put 1/2 shuttering ply on top, and snug to the walls, screwed into Battens, and cut off excess visqueen, seems to have made a vast improvement. Had to make some very simple ramps to get car up garage lip, just a couple of bits 6" x1.5" about 2 feett long with a chamfered leading edge. Have now got a nice dry wooden floor which could be painted , all for less than £100 if I remember correctly

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 15 Apr 2013 00:35:23

Why paint? For large industrial use properly done it can be excellent but in your own garage??? My present garage, 6x6 meters is tiled. White tiles properly laid, which is quite easy giving a very flat floor, white makes it very nice to work in and very easy to clean, especially as it has two drains built in near the centre of the two car areas.

It is also cheap as you can buy 2nd's rather than new tiles.

Do they chip and crack? No cracks and I think there are 2 small chips which are almost unnoticeable. Probably from a dropped club hammer.

Scratches? None, not even from the trolley jack. The surface is very hard and even things like set up epoxy glue can be scraped of quite easily.

Garage also used for quite a lot of wood work, besides work on 2 other cars besides the Caterham. Now in use for 15 years.

Must admit that I do have the luxury of the garage being part of the house and it is heated.

Pervious garage half the size I also tiled and was still almost perfect after 10 years.

Isn't a tiled surface prone to being extremely slippery with wet footwear and things like WD40 over-spray, I know grip surfaced quarries would be ok, but have never seen these in white, I am presuming you are using some form of ceramic as you say you can scrape epoxy off them .

Tim

Quoting tbird: 
Isn't a tiled surface prone to being extremely slippery with wet footwear and things like WD40 over-spray, I know grip surfaced quarries would be ok, but have never seen these in white, I am presuming you are using some form of ceramic as you say you can scrape epoxy off them .

Tim

Having experienced EFA's ceramic tiled floor with a combo of oil and antifreeze on it I can confirm that Torvill & Dean would have a ball on it

Never had a problem. In Belgium tiles are used alot in the house, living room, halls, study's as well as kitchens. In the garage they are ceramic 30 x 30 cm matt finish with a slight texture. Better than an epoxy floor for non slip.

Surely you do not waste your oil, antifreeze, wd 40 etc by pouring on the floor ?

Anyway if you do it is so easy to wipe off from tiles

Quoting grenpayne: 
Possibly a little dark, but I was thinking along the lines of these tiles. Thoughts?

Just priced up my garage as its damp (old stone construction and I think zero damp proof coursing) and that would cost £805 *nono* I dropped a mail to watco as they seem to do lots of interesting paints for this as per previous peoples advise.

I was thinking I could just do back of garage where Caterham is but then rest of floor would be getting damp and creating moisture. I have noticed that I have wet on car nearly all time which is less than ideal

Edited by - andy bell on 15 Apr 2013 12:58:49