Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

scuttle replacement &, fitting a "'windy' aero-screen" to replace windscreen

masha

Yep - I'm considering an aeroscreen conversion, and while waiting for the new R300 removeable one to become a reality I'm investigating options.

While talking aero screen does anyone know who the German firm who made a carbon aeroscreen for the 7 are. I remember seeing pics of a very flash retro-fit unit which even had aero pods over the wiper blade mounts. I can't find their web site now though.

To do it properly I guess I need to do the following:

- buy new scuttle and get it painted (any ideas on price of new un-drilled one)

- buy aero screen

- buy 3 spa mirrors

- drill-out hundreds of pop-rivets and 4 scuttle bolts and remove old scuttle

- remove wiper motor, water pipe and tank

- fit the new lot.

I know hat you're thinking just the right time of year to convert to 'windy'-screen as opposed to a windscreen, but then I have a secret weapon in the form of two crash helmets and an intercom system now.

M

Thanks Peter - no heater as mine's a SL like yours, so nice tidy, powder-coated black blanking plate already in place.

There's a waiting list on new R300 screen £225, or £350 for composite or carbon respectively.

you don't need to drill out any rivets. the scuttle comes as the top curved pained bit and the vertical sheet that the fuse box is attached to.

you'll need to use a new stanley knife blade to ciut thruogh the silicone sealant and then undo 2 nuts on each side and two around the steering column that hold it in place.

You'll need to remove the knee trim pnaels to get at the nuts on the side (which go onto studs in the chassis)

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU

There may be some rivets to drill out depending on whether poppers for the tonneau cover have gone into the chassis tubes. Not sure whether you implied you had a heater blanking plate as a separate piece, but you will obviously have to remove rivets if it is the separate one. You may also find you have a single rivet on each side where the scuttle comes down to meet the sills.

You also need to remove the two bolts that clamp the steering column to the vertical front face of the scuttle.

Hi Masha,

I have just done this and replace the dash at the same time

It is an ideal opportunity to address cable routes and minimise appetures in the bulkhead.

Wingscreen wipers/switches/heater switch etc etc can all go at the sametime - make sure you mark it all up, otherwise it will be difficult to tell what is what next time round

Caterham painted Scuttle is 200 GBP

Take great care when marking up aeroscreen if JPE straight forward if R500 do not bother with adhesive, use rivits as Caterham advise ( on second time of asking )

JPE and R500 screens fit in different places by the way

Best mod I have done to the car ...

Best regards

Anthony

X-Flow-power; the real way forward

thanks for that - some good advise there.

I'm going to go for a new R300 aeroscreen but they are still on back order.

I'm still looking for that German firm that produce a nice after-market/retro-fittable aero with nice built-in pods over wiper mounts.

M