Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hot 'K' instal...some questions.

Unclefester

We now have the engine in, which is somewhat surprising as we thought the right side mounting was wrong for the SV.

Some questions arise.

1/I'm running an Emerald, and not using the carbon canister. What should I do with the vapour pipe from the petrol tank?

2/On the PTP Evo 220 engine there is no vacuum pipe to the fuel pressure regulator at the front of the fuel rail. Is this normal? There is a point on the regulator for a small bore pipe, but nowhere on the intake manifold DTHTB pipes to fit one....and I think it's been run like this, though it was a race engine admittedly.

3/The cable for the throttle bodies comes down vertically from above, which means that the bonnet is crushing it over to one side.....is there a special cable with a 90° elbow at the quadrant fitting for this, to keep the cable within the profile of the bonnet?

I could probably adapt a steel 90° elbow from a motorcycle throttle cable, but I'd be interested to know if the proper part is available and what it costs.

4/ Does the starter motor normally have a heatshield? on mine there's some heatshield material around the servo, but not on the motor itself, though there are some marks which look as if they might have been left by a shield.

Edited by - Unclefester on 3 Jan 2012 18:20:14

Regarding the throttle cable. In most cases a looped tie wrap up from the throttle bodies keeps the cable from touching the bonnet. On mine I also stuck a short length of sticky back neoprene foam tape to the underside of the bonnet where the cable sweeps over.

You just may be able to see the looped cable tie in these two pictures.

http://thumbsnap.com/s/anjKMQ9V.jpg

http://thumbsnap.com/i/VmGejZXP.jpg

salut unclefester

re- starter, yes, you need to protect it with a heat shield. the factory fitted wrapping is not enough IMHO.

titanium, can you tell me more about this long trumpets?they seem to be a tight fit under the BS airbox.

have you tested different setting on RR?

cheers

Tonino

This was Dave Walker at Emerald testing his adjustable trumpets during development last April. I think they are now on sale,there is an article on the Emerald website.

They did add a few BHP when we played around with the length.

Mine have 4 x 90mm trumpets which came with the air box.

Titanium, Are those Dave's adjustable trumpets or are they now sold at the optimum length? Mine has very short trumpets and an ITG foam but I'd prefer the system you are running after reading Dave's article.

Tonino, I'll stick some Nimbus around it! Can't do any harm....

I'm running a Pace twin scavenge DS system with my belt cover, and will be fitting a Hall sender to read the pump pulley, so if the belt breaks the ECU will cut the ignition.

With this system, and a Brise kidney tank, what's the current thinking on the cam box breathers? One to the Brise tank and one to a catch tank? Or to a filter?

Do I need to have a carefully maintained internal crankcase vacuum? In which case, what's the best solution?

Edited by - Unclefester on 3 Jan 2012 21:33:09

Biggest pain so far is the Emerald plug.

I followed the instructions to the letter, and the bloody plug, when inserted in the ECU, hold the Emerald upside down!

Tomorrow I'll remove all the shrouding for a couple of feet back up the loom and coax it round into the proper orientation before replacing.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6637099671_fef10e3d51_b.jpg

I fancy some of Dave Walkers long trumpets and a proper airbox, which should sit under the bonnet without a hole, I think, there's so much room in the SV engine bay.

Edited by - Unclefester on 4 Jan 2012 21:32:51