Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Topic display

EFA

Barry,

How flexible is the BBS with respect to displaying messages newest first and at top of page as opposed to oldest page firstb as it is now.

This would reduce wear and tear on my mouse wheel.....

Arnie

It's very flexible, I just need to change the sort sequence. The only area I would need to look at is where I put the topic starter; topics and replies are held in different tables, and it would get very confusing to look at the thread heading and have the first message bear no relation to it whatsoever. Similarly if I put the topic starter in first and the next thing you see is the last reply, that could also get confusing.

I'm working on a series of improvements that will include listing all the pages in a topic on the forum page therefore allowing you to go straight to the last page if you want. Hopefully as I'll be converting all the inline SQL to stored procedures this will speed up the forums too.

Currently I have no plans to change the sequence. I suppose if I really have too much time on my hands I could write it so that you could specify which order you want things in via a cookie, but I think that's a quite along way off.