Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New car, won't turn over

Rj52car

Hello POBC,

We are building a 1.4 classic and today is the day to start the engine.

For now we're trying to turn it over to get oil pressure before starting.

So, the inertia switch is disconnected. Immobiliser off (red light not flashing). Ignition key to position II. At this point the light in the hazard switch comes on and the horn works. No ignition lights. Turn the ignition key to position III and nothing happens (although a very quiet click comes from ECU).

Banner battery charged 2 days ago. Currently showing 13.23 volts accross terminals.

Will check the 'K click' threads but they generally say ... Check your earths. Mine are brand new so 'should be OK.

Most likely issue is us doing something wrong ... But where should I start to diagnose ?

Regards, Philip and Hugh.

Just ried cycling immobiliser. Turned on, rapid flashing for 30 seconds then flashes every 2 seconds.

Turned off, red light goes off.

Same symtoms. Mileage '0' appears on odometer.

Removed plug from bottom of inertia switch. This is part of the start up proc to turn the engine over to get oil pressure before starting.

With the inertia switch connected and the ignition switch at position II, we still don't get an ignition light but the fuel pump runs.

I don't know about the 1.4 K Series - but for the 1.6 Sigma I've just built the wiring instructions for the starter and alternator weren't exactly clear and it was very easy to attach things in the wrong place. Have you checked with Caterham that the right wires are going to the right place (a 3 minute phone call worked wonders for me)?

If the lack of tacho power/signal, and the alternator light are in any way connected, this can only be sue to a bad earth at behind the dash. Try connecting the metal casing of the tacho to the chassis earth. Does the loom ground the alternator light and the tacho via eye terminals on one of the tacho bracket securing screws?